Proof error bicentennial half?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rob C, May 20, 2017.

1. Rob C

Rob C Member

Reposting under a better title. Looking over some newly acquired proofs and found this portion of what appears to be part of the designer's initials just west of Independence Hall. Definitely doesn't belong there. Trying to decide if it will bring a slight premium, or drop the grade. Thoughts? Also, it is fully raised, like a device. No indentations around it causing it to be pushed up. I have another one just like it but on the obverse.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

We did this already. Please post a full image of the coin.

4. Rob C

Rob C Member

"We" did what already? 20170520_182321.jpg

5. Rob C

Rob C Member

I just put every light I had on it and it now appears to be an indentation, but it looks to be struck, not PMD. Edges are perfect, including the ends. Any ideas?

6. Rob C

Rob C Member

My other '76 has a similar mark on the obverse. Foreign object on the die?

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's possible. Struck thru something. Could this be junk on the coin inside the holder?

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Second opinions are good. Do you think this mark is indented or raised? Different types of light and different angles may give a better conclusion.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The holder is filled with trash. The coin has to come out to know what's going on.

10. Rob C

Rob C Member

I'll pop it out today and see what's going on. Thanks.

11. Rob C

Rob C Member

It is definitely an indentation. The light source is to the right in the picture. Very clean edges and no bulges around it. Maybe it was on the planchet before it was struck? The other one I have is nearly identical, just a different location.
    20170521_111608_001.jpg

12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Hi Rob, I'm glad you got some more info about your coin.

13. Rob C

Rob C Member

Thanks for the help. Do you have any idea what might have caused this?

14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Was the capsule it came in easy to open or was it sealed closed? Was there red felt debris inside the capsule? I ask because I was wondering if some may have opened the capsule before you got it.

15. Rob C

Rob C Member

Oh, definitely sealed. The dogs started barking when I began cracking it open. I could see all of the seals around each of the coins break. And yes, lots of nice red velvet debris everywhere.

16. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I would think there should not be any red felt on the inside of the capsule.

17. Rob C

Rob C Member

There were small spaces where the capsule didn't seal all of the way, so felt was able to get inside.

18. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I see, thanks for responding to all my questions. And I hope you have some more info about your coin. In the end you are the one that will decide what to do with this coin. From what I have seen, And what you have said I would say that it is some type of "Struck-Through" error.

Draft saved Draft deleted