Proof dies vs. business strike

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by louis a bencze, Jun 9, 2020.

1. louis a bencze

louis a bencze Active Member

Can anyone tell me the diagnostics between proof and business strike dies on the 1884 3 cent nickels? I have searched a few web sites and haven't found what differentiates the two strikes. I just purchased a PCGS proof 15, only because it fits in with the circulated set I'm working on. 20200609_142049[4454].jpg 20200609_142030[4455].jpg 20200609_142216[4453].jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robec

robec Junior Member

Hopefully it will turn out to be a business strike.

baseball21 likes this.
  4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I guess I could see it being an impaired proof. They do list a PF15 in their pop report, so probably not a lable error.

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I think that’s peobanly the lowest graded proof I’ve ever seen

8. louis a bencze

louis a bencze Active Member

I am certain it's a proof as I trust PCGS 's grading. But what I'm wondering is if it were Raw how would I tell whether it was proof or a business strike

9. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Yeah, that’s a good question. I can’t answer it but I tagged Kirkuleez as I believe he knows about 3CN pieces.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Maybe @Insider has some inside information :)

11. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

This looks like a proof to me after some r search. The reverse denticles are much more square compared to the obverse, which I see here

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'll need to look tomorrow. One thing I know for sure, when in doubt:

IT'S A PROOF! :jawdrop::facepalm::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::p:D

Kentucky likes this.
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

:jawdrop: :wideyed: :woot: :eek: Awwwwww Mike, say it isn't so !

You ? Have doubts ? About ANYTHING ????? :D

Kentucky and micbraun like this.
  14. Insider

Yes I do. Still learning every day.

Kentucky likes this.
  15. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I completed at three cent proof set some years ago, but unfortunately I’m not very well versed in the specific diagnostics to shed any light on this one. I have seen other1884 impaired proofs, but never graded this low. I suspect that there is a glaring diagnostic that they used to identify it, but have no idea what it might be.

micbraun likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

It's now tomorrow plus some...

17. Insider

I forgot all about this. I'll check this coming week if you remind me.

18. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

It's also very hard to tell because proof dies were often used for business strikes after they were done minting proofs.

The data is out there for the 3 cent silvers - the July 1964 issue of Numismatic Scrapbook prints the tables and the Flynn&Zack book lists the #s of dies used.

upload_2020-6-25_19-9-46.png

I don't know if similar data exists for the 3CN

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, it was done. But ya always need to remember there are still differences between the actual Proofs and the business strikes struck with Proof dies. This is because they were each struck on different presses and with much different strike pressures, and the business strikes were only struck once, and the Proofs multiple times and on specially prepared planchets.

The difference between an actual Proof and a business strike struck with Proof dies is basically night and day different.

20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Here’s a theory. Maybe they use the detail of the ribbon below the wreath as the diagnostic? On business strike coins, this detail is faint and lacking the detail of the ribbon closest to the fields, on proof coins, and as with the coin that the OP is showing, this detail is much better defined. I suspect that it has to be something along these lines, but that seems hardly conclusive evidence to differentiate between the strike types given that die alignments and planchet thicknesses can vary within the tolerance needed for this small detail to show.

21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

For proofs of that vintage the most telling diagnostic is the squared off rims.

The Philadelphia mint used the medal press and struck the coins more than once. This leads to much better filling of the devices, much sharper lines on the coin and squared off rims.

Even a fairly low grade impaired proof will show signs of the squared rims.

Draft saved Draft deleted