Proof Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by 1stSgt22, Dec 23, 2020.

1. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Anyone ever find a proof coin in a roll from the bank? I have found a few! It's sad what circulation does to a proof.

Kurisu and SchwaVB57 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It’s not that uncommon. A lot of the individual proofs really aren’t worth trying to sell or don’t cost enough to be able to sell on eBay so it’s better to just spend the ones someone doesn’t want

4. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I find many. I like it when I find one. Welcome to CoinTalk 1stSgt22

5. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Not unusual at all. Some collectors buy proof sets just to fill one denomination hole in a set and then let the rest go free.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I have several Kennedy impaired proofs that I found in rolls.

7. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Over the years have found Lincoln cents, Jefferson nickels, Washington quarters, and a couple Kennedy half dollars. Funny though I have never happened upon a
    dime from any series.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Can we see them? o_O

Inspector43 likes this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Pulled a few S quarters and they stand out because of that proof luster.
    2 different 1972-S and sorry for the bad photo on Wisconsin.
    Proof4.png 1972-S.png Wisconsin.png

NOS likes this.
  10. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Three, to be exact: 1980-S, 1981-S, and 1983-S Kennedy halves.

11. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance! I think I have found 3 so far!!!

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Some I've found look like the day they were made. Others, you can tell it's a proof.

13. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

In my CRH since 9/2020, I've found 3 state quarters and two Presidential dollars that were proofs. I previously posted pics of the quarters elsewhere, but not yet the dollars, so here they are - obviously a pair impaired. Tyler is 2009-S, Pierce is 2010-S. TylerPierceProofs.jpg (It's difficult to get good pics of frosty faces on mirrored fields - still working on technique.)

spirityoda likes this.
  14. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Searched some small dollar rolls about a week ago and amazingly had one roll with 15 proofs inside!
    I'm new here, but I know lots of techniques...one is try angling the coins but photographing them straight on if you can't really move your light sources, or just try angles.

On highly mirrored coins too many light sources is usually a culprit.
    This was a snapshot while I was documenting the find, and if I had turned off the warm overhead lamp to the left those mirrored surfaces would've been much darker using mostly light from one direction (the outside sunlight straight ahead of me).

Actually if you look at the few coins farthest away that are less affected by my indoor lamp you'll see that they basically look black and white!

If you think about the lighting and seeing details a good place to start is to copy the way graders look at coins...one single directional light source from in front/overhead.
    Hope that helps :)

20201221_160852.jpg

Attached Files:

manny9655 and Bradley Trotter like this.
  15. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

Wow - great find! Where did you get the rolls from?

My post on 10/23/20 "Never had so much fun with coins as in the last two days" describes my looking at dollar rolls for the first time, with two proofs and a bunch of NIFC finds. If you only did 8 rolls, I would say you did much better! Sometimes it's just "right place, right time" - being the first one to ask for rolls after someone has knowingly or unknowingly deposited a bunch of good stuff.

As for my pics, I have three movable lights, and tried several different ways. Considering the time it took and the results, maybe I should have just used my axial lighting setup, but I didn't want to take the time to set it up. My photo workspace is the kitchen counter and it had other holiday priorities.

16. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Thanks, yup luck of the draw. Good timing on the rolls from a large branch near Denver.

17. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

only found 1 proof coin a 1962 penny my bank never has dollar / half dollar rolls or change it sucks.I might never accomplish my dream of getting a %90 silver half for free.

18. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

As with others, several over the years...in rolls and received in change. It happens with regularity, so if you CRH...expect it to happen. Always fun finding a proof!!

Kurisu likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted