Proof Coins with Haze/Cloudiness

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Scalight, May 21, 2016.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Do you have to act like this Insider?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Within the last 48 hours. Thiuorea is a far weaker base than caustic potash. Much of this is going over your head, man.

Paul M. and Insider like this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I was waiting for you to show up. :kiss: Yes I do. And...I had hoped you would have something pertinent to add to the discussion as there is too much "slinging" going on around here.

Check out the thread about "Proof coins with/haze cloudiness to see more of the nonsense comments!

5. SuperDave

Um, you posted this in that thread....

Insider likes this.
  6. Insider

That is the best! Got "Naked & afraid" on my mind.

:eggface::facepalm: Hey, as you said, this is all going over my head.

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Calm down insider. Time to take a breath and put down the keyboard for the night

Insider likes this.
  8. Insider

Goodnight All!

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's chemical make up probably does read rather strongly, though I have actually found it to be rather if not very mild in practice on silver and clad coins. Copper it has a tendency to give a blue hint to it (which some people like) but because of that I don't like it for copper coins. Moderns or silver coins though I haven't ever had an adverse reaction such as killing a coin by over dipping it. I have never soaked anything in it though just used cotton balls to apply it then rinse. Overall have had a lot of success and am a fan on the right coins, it just smells terrible and you will want to wear gloves.

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Is it just me or does ezest bring olfactory thoughts of public restrooms to mind while using it :inpain:

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Lol I should have put I was talking about MS 70 in the post above, but not I'm going to be thinking of a stadium restroom the next time I open the bottle lol.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I knew you were talking about ms70. I was just adding perspective with its counterpart

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Please get one thing straight. The caustic nature of a chemical can be a warning sign, and the strength of the solution is also important. I once saw a student burned by phenol when he put his arm on a chunk lying on a lab table. It ate out a hole you could put your finger in...that same chemical, phenol, is used in some cough drops, just at a very low concentration. That is one problem with MSDS sheets, they tell you what is there, but not the concentration.

Now @SuperDave says he uses EZest, but dilutes it. May I submit that if MS70 contains potassium hydroxide, I really don't know the strength of the solution. The thiourea in EZest isn't there for the basic nature, in fact, I think the solution contains sulfuric acid. The action of ammonia is probably due in large part due to it being a base.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I stay out of most threads you post in. Many others do the same or have you blocked. It's just not worth putting up with you and your lack of understanding what is being said. When you get to that point you start with the rude and insulting post. I don't care to be part of your madness.

15. SuperDave

Which is why I don't like bringing stuff with high numeric pH into play with coins. :)

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

:)

Insider likes this.
  17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Tis sounds silly.
    And just plain wrong

How can you say ditto, after your post above?

When the heck does the mint have to do with the topic?

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I do not claim to be an expert, and never have. All I do is share information that I have gathered over the years, like this -
    http://www.crscientific.com/article-silver.html

Read what it says in the left hand column.

Silver compounds must be kept away from:

• Acetylene or acetylides (e.g., calcium carbide)

• Ammonia or ammonium salts (prolonged contact)

• Oxalic acid or oxalates

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

For whatever it is worth, MS70 has been around for a long time. And while I do not know when it first came on the market I've read countless reports of people (hundreds of them) using it with very favorable results for at least 15 years now. And these people, they aren't just collectors, though many are and well known collectors at that, they are also trusted and respected dealers, and even a few TPG employees. I have even read on the NGC and PCGS forums where the TPG employees have recommended using MS70 on silver and clad coins, particularly Proofs, because of the very favorable results it produces - especially when it comes to removing haze from Proofs. Some even make sure they dip every coin they submit for grading in MS70 before submitting them. And yeah, in years past I've used it myself and it does a great job.

It is also very well known that MS70, as mentioned above, should not be used on copper coins because it causes them to turn blue or purplish in color.

All of that said, if you don't want to use MS70 - then don't use it. Nobody here is trying to talk you into it, least of all me ! But what I will do is what I always do - share with you what I know and believe to be true.

Many of you know me, have known me for many years. And in all of that time have any of you, even 1, ever known me to recommend ANYTHING for use on coins that I was not sure of ? I'm the guy that always warns people NOT to do things ! And yet here I am telling you that you can use MS70, and use it safely. There it is, for whatever it is worth.

imrich and Insider like this.
  20. Insider

You'll need to ask @SuperDave about that. It has to do with a very old post. I appreciate his honesty.

21. Insider

Proper conservation is a multi step process. Nevertheless, from the keyboard of the uninformed:

Son :bucktooth:, you have so much to learn and so little time. :dead:

Draft saved Draft deleted