Proof Coins with Haze/Cloudiness

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Scalight, May 21, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

PS Proper conservation is a MANY step process. Ammonia (sudsy) is another amazing chemical along with several other products on the shelf of your local food store!

Experience, practice, experimentation, knowledge, and a mentor are the only tried and true ways to clean coins - AND THEY STILL BLOW UP! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

It's not rocket science insider and different techniques can be applied. I have used ezest many times with that method with absolutely brilliant results only ruining a coin or two at the beginning, on purpose, to get the timing down on both clad and silver. Cold tap water rinse and pat drying with TP is perfectly fine. If you rub on the coin with the TP you may get hairlines but a gentle pat will do nothing but absorb the excess water.

However, I'll differ to you on ms70 as I've only used it a few times and the results were less than desierable.

And if you have something to say, say it. No need to wait for dave or Doug or someone to correct me to jump in ;)

4. Insider

Proper conservation IS rocket science. However, I'll confess to many, many quick dips straight into Jewel Luster and rubbed dry with a paper towel and who cares. It depended on the coin.

Now, I know better; and still depends on the coin. Guess it will always be a case of "do as they say; not as they do." IMO, that works best when the "student" (me) is taught correctly in the first place. o_O

imrich and Kentucky like this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just as an FYI - ammonia has a nasty habit of turning silver black.

green18 and Kentucky like this.
  6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Now, a paper towel is different. Unless it's the really soft kind I wouldn't use it over TP. But then again I also wouldn't use the type of TP you find in public bathrooms at government facilities lol

And yes, every approach is predicated on a coin by coin basis. I'm speaking in a general sense, not for high dollar or high grade etc types of coins. Those should always be sent to the professionals for "conservation" at a small fee if its needed. I ain't that dumb :)

7. Insider

Never had that happen. But you and @Kentucky are the experts. How do you do it...may be good for darkening a coin. :jawdrop::yuck:

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'm not sure what the chemistry behind this might be, but I'll look if I get a chance. In the meanwhile, experience often trumps book-learnin'.

Insider and Cascade like this.
  9. Insider

Not interested in chemistry. What do you do, how long, and what concentration to darken a silver coin? PM me if you don't wish to inform juvenile delinquents.o_O

10. Insider

Ditto.

11. Kentucky

Wouldn't mind PMing, just honestly don't know. @BadThad, any ideas?

12. Insider

I thought you agreed with Doug. Doug said ammonia turns silver black in post#24. My mistake, you just "liked" his post.

OK, @GDJMSP Still curious about the ammonia? I thought it brightens silver.

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

14. Insider

:arghh::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:Here you go again...:facepalm:

Have you ever used MS-70? :spitoutdummy:

If you say yes, I'll have several questions for you.:watching:

Remember...the mint has a way of detecting spots?o_O

15. SuperDave

No, nor will I ever. I'm not letting a coin touch something that caustic. I don't need to.

Insider likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Caustic is not usually reactive with metals...uh, don't use it on aluminum.

Insider likes this.
  17. SuperDave

I'm just leery of bringing a cleaning agent of that strength into play.

18. Insider

I admire your honesty. That said, and certain of being called a troll, condescending know-it-all, etc :facepalm: I'm going to suggest to ALL members on CT - in the interest of numismatic education - that it would be best for all of us (me included) if none of us posted comments or opinions about subjects we know nothing about. That includes chemicals/techniques/experiments (coin dipping) we've never done. I get ill when a post starts: I KNOW NOTHING about...but: :yack::yack::yack::yack::yack: and it is all BS. There are too many MYTHS being propagated/handed down in numismatics as it is.

@SuperDave That's why you will never find me writing about coin photography although I take at least 30-40 micrographs of coins a day! This weekend, by being silent on that subject due to my ignorance, I learned about "white balance" from you and cannot wait to adjust my camera on Monday!

Paul M. likes this.
  19. Insider

Try MS-70 on a cheap hazy proof, you become a believer!;)

20. SuperDave

Why, exactly, do you think that the efficacy of a solution is relevant to my choice whether to use it? I do not bring cleaning agents that strong near coins.

It's that simple.

21. Insider

I mistakenly thought you should like to be more informed about MS-70.:facepalm::eggface:

Oh no, I thought you :bookworm: are an "ex-pert" on dipping coins and the results.:happy: That means all the opinions/untruths and :yack: you made about dipping coins and luster were also based on NOTHING but myth/hearsay due to the fact as stated above that you don't use cleaning agents on coins! Am I missing something? Isn't dipping a form of cleaning? Please, please, set the record straight. Have you ever dipped a coin using EZest or Jewel Luster?

Draft saved Draft deleted