Probus snack

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Nice one!

I love the coinage of Probus, and as a result I usually end up keeping them when I find an extra nice one in a lot. Interestingly, I've never purchased an individual Probus, all of these were lot grabs.

These two were for my main portrait collection
    Probus antoninianus adventvs avg.jpg
    Probus military bust ADVENTVS PROBI.jpg

These were just too pretty to let go
    Probus VICTORIA GERM.jpg Probus IOVI CONS PROBI AVG Rome.jpg

These I wagered I would be disappointed in the hammer on ebay, so I just kept them
    Probus sol invicto chariot holed.jpg Probus consular portrait SOL INVICTO quadriga left rome.jpg

Whenever I'm feeling snackish I usually cruise the Indian offerings on the 'bay. This is a recent pickup, one that I've wanted for a while but always shied away from on account of toxic metal + toddlers in the house.

Chutus of Banavasi
    Mulanada, ca late 1st - early 3rd century AD
    PB full unit (29mm)
    This one has a nice crisp strike with full legend and a pleasing patina (ancient lead is so interesting!)
    Chutus mulanada pb unit.jpg

Also, almost all of my Indo Sassanians would count as a "snack" but snacks add up to be more than the meal you would have eaten!
    ZomboDroid 23032021142256.jpg ZomboDroid 23032021143423.jpg ZomboDroid 23032021143504.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

The coin arrived this morning, and I think it looks pretty good; I feel like it was worth what I paid for it:
    IMP C PROBVS P F AVG - PAX AVG.jpg

Interestingly, it also came with a collector's ticket that was clearly written by the same hand as the ticket that came with a Valerian I that I purchased from Naville back in December:
    IMP VALERIANVS P F AVG - VICT PART.jpg

Here's the tickets:
    20210325_133530.jpg
    20210325_133554.jpg
    The "C" must indicate the Cohen reference number, while the number at the bottom is the weight of the coin. The only thing that puzzles me a bit is the price on the other side of the ticket; what currency could it be in? Also, if anybody has any ideas regarding whose collection the coins came from, I'd like to hear them.

4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Nice snacks.. I have a few inexpensive coins of Probus...

upload_2021-3-25_23-11-52.png

upload_2021-3-25_23-12-30.png

upload_2021-3-25_23-12-51.png

Draft saved Draft deleted