Featured Probus - Lugdunum - Spes - one more step

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Feb 22, 2021.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

As some of you will know I collect (hoard) the coins of Probus from Lugdunum. This collection will never be complete as there are simply too many people who are willing to pay decent money for the scarcer bust types. I am happy to continue filling gaps elsewhere where I can. A new acquisition gives me the excuse to share a section of my obsession.

In the 9th emission, Lugdunum uses the letters A, B, C and D to represent the officina marks for officinae 1 through 4. The officina marks are almost exclusively in the left and right fields on the reverse. There is one die where the officina mark is in the exe but that is a post for a different day. The officina marks for B, C and D also appear as retrograde on some coins. Why they did this we simply do not know but they are not isolated errors and are certainly intentional.

Within the output of the third officina is the SPES AVG reverse with Spes standing left, holding flower and raising robe.

This reverse type occurs with two different obverse legends - IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG and IMP C PROBVS P F AVG.

The coins with IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG all come with the same bust type - Radiate draped and cuirassed bust right (seen from the rear) and is known to exist with the officina mark forward and redtrograde in left and right fields. These are all RIC 127 Bust type C but have different Bastien entries.

Bastien 402 (13 examples cited)
    RI_132ud_img.jpg
    Bastien 405 (2 examples cited)
    RI_132yf_img.jpg Bastien 414 (12 examples cited)
    RI_132sl_img.jpg Bastien 419 (3 examples cited)
    RI_132uw_img.jpg

The coins that come with IMP C PROBVS P F AVG appear with two different bust types - Radiate draped and cuirassed bust right (seen from the front) and - Radiate cuirassed bust right and known to exist with the officina mark forward and redtrograde in left and right fields. These are all RIC 128 Bust type C and RIC 128 Bust type F but again have different Bastien entries.

Bust Type F
    Bastien 404 (19 examples cited)
    RI_132xa_img.jpg
    Bastien 407 (7 examples cited)
    RI_132od_img.jpg
    Bastien 416 (7 examples cited) (MY NEWEST ADDITION AND EXCUSE FOR THIS THREAD)
    RI 132yy img.JPG
    Bastien 421 (4 examples cited)
    RI_132bl_img.jpg

Bust Type C

Bastien 403 (9 examples cited)
    RI_132nt_img.jpg Bastien 406 (2 examples cited)
    RI_132yc_img.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

Bastien 415 (5 examples cited)
    RI_132uy_img.jpg
    Bastien 420 (5 examples cited)
    MY LONG PATIENT SEARCH FOR THIS ONE CONTINUES>>>>>>

4. Choucas

Choucas Well-Known Member

Nice series!

5. barnaba6

barnaba6 Well-Known Member

Very nice series indeed Martin! Congratulations!

6. maridvnvm

Many thanks. The grouping has been about 15 years in the making thus far. I have no idea if it will take me that long again before I complete the group.

7. barnaba6

[QUOTE="maridvnvm, post: 6459622,
    Bastien 420 (5 examples cited)
    MY LONG PATIENT SEARCH FOR THIS ONE CONTINUES>>>>>>[/QUOTE]

well, here is my Bastien 420 example:

https://www.colleconline.com/en/items/125405/coin-ancient-c-to-roman-probus-bastien-420-after

If you made me a good offer I would consider it. I recently decided to reduce A little bit the size of my Probus collection and am selling some coins which are not my absolute favorites.

so maybe you don’t need to wait another 15 years to complete the series after all:)

DonnaML likes this.
  8. barnaba6

Martin, Do you have any other equally complete series like the Spes Avg shown above from the 9th emission in your collection?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Martin I really enjoy your posts on Probus and I always look forward to reading them. Your passion for this niche is infectious and obvious. I also appreciate your scholarly approach to the documentation of these pieces of history.

10. maridvnvm

After the generous offer by @barnaba6 I now have completed the sub-series.

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS • P • F • AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– SPES AVG, Spes standing left, holding flower and raising robe
    Minted in Lugdunum (_ | Retrograde C) Emission 9, Officina 3. January to August A.D. 282
    Reference(s) – Cohen 701. Bastien 420 (5 examples). RIC 128 Bust type C var (Officina mark not listed in RIC).

Ex. Barnaba6 Collection (Private Sale). Ex. NUMISMATICA VARESINA web shop May 2016

Uneven strike

2.72 g. 22.35 mm. 180 degrees

RI 132zb img.JPG

11. barnaba6

I am happy that I helped you complete the series. Cheers.

DonnaML and hotwheelsearl like this.
  12. barnaba6

13. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Congratulations! I like when I see a collector's path narrowing down and specializing to a certain area.

Draft saved Draft deleted