Probus - Lugdunum - Legend errors

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Jul 11, 2020.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Amongst my Probus Lugdunum collection I have built up a small number of coins with spelling errors. The first coin is my newest addition.

Antonianus
    Obv:– IMP C M AR(sic) PROBVS AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– TEMPORVM FELICITAS, Felicitas standing right, holding caduceus and cornucopiae
    Minted in Lugdunum (I) Emission 1, Officina 1. Early A.D. 277
    Reference(s) – Cohen 729, Bastien 151b (151 has AVR and cites 15 examples). RIC 52 var Bust type F (C).

Weight 3.53g. 22.85mm. 0 degrees

[​IMG]

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS • P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– COMITI PORBI(sic) AVG, Minerva standing left, holding olive-branch and spear and resting left hand on shield
    Mint – Lugdunum (I in exe) Emission 7 Officina 1. A.D. 280
    Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien 315 (example c). RIC 69 Bust type F var (PORBI in error not listed in RIC)

One of the examples cited by Bastien of 315 - the standard PROBI coin, 315c - Voetter, is also PORBI from the same reverse die. No examples cited in Bastien Suppl. II.

Weight 4,11g. 22.16mm. 0 degrees

[​IMG]
    I have somehow manged to obtain two of these
    [​IMG]
    3.76 gms

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, Radiate cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– ORIES (sic) AVG, Sol walking left between two captives, right hand raised, left holding globe.
    Minted in Lugdunum (I in exe) Emission 2 Officina 1. from November to December A.D. 276
    Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien 164c. RIC 44 Bust type F.

4.16 gms

[​IMG]

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– TEMPR FELICI (sic), Felicitas standing right, holding caduceus and cornucopiae
    Mint – Lugdunum (I in exe) Emission 6 Officina 1. A.D.278 to A.D. 279
    Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien -. RIC 104 Bust type F var. Not listed in Bastien or RIC with this reverse legend error.

4.73 gms

[​IMG]

Anyone else of got any Probus legend errors from Lugdunum to share?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

Perhaps people have examples of the correctly spelled examples....

AVG
    [​IMG]
    PROBI
    [​IMG]
    ORIENS
    [​IMG]
    TEMPOR
    [​IMG]

Regards,
    Martin

4. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Fascinating bunch of coins. Is the Lugdunum mint at this time newly opened? Or were there events which meant that new staff had to be found quickly? I am too rusty with the history of this period to be able to speculate meaningfully.

5. maridvnvm

The mint has previously been producing coins for Aurelian, who reopened the mint at the end of A.D. 274, Severina under Aurelian and then for Tacitus and Florian. So it had been operating for about 2 years before Probus.

Gavin Richardson and thejewk like this.
  6. maridvnvm

Another old thread being revived. This time to share another new coin.

I should have checked the Bastioen plates for my OREIS. My coin above is from a different die to the Bastien plate example. I must admit that I had not checked the plates and simply assumed that there was only a single ORIES die. My mistake was brought to my attention when I saw the following coin, which I have now purchased...... The following coin is a reverse die match to the Bastien plate coin.

RI 132zh img.JPG

sky92880, Johndakerftw, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted