Probus' Germanic victories

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Tejas, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Probus scored some important victories over the Germanic people north of the Danube and Rhine for which he was awarded the titles of Gothicus Maximus and Germanicus Maximus. I'm not aware of any coins referring to his victories over the Goths, but his victories over Burgundians at the Lech river in modern Germany and against Alamanni and Franks along the Rhine are reflected in his coins. I have three different types:

1. VICTORIA GERM with Victory between captives. This type is quite scarce.
    Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 17.45.50.png

2. VICTORIA GERM with Trophy between captives and R thunderbolt A in exergue

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 17.47.47.png

3. VICTORIA GERM with Trophy between captives and R wreath A in exergue

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 17.49.03.png

I'm curious if other variants exist and if there is perhaps even a VICTORIA GOTHICA out there. I think the Germanic victory series was only struck at Rome.

galba68, Cucumbor, Andres2 and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Nice Coins. Here is a Probus R thunderbolt Z

Number 38 Probus R Thunderbolt Z.jpg

galba68, Tejas, PeteB and 4 others like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

#2 nothing new but slightly different style
    rs2540bb1372.jpg

5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

ProbusCaptives.jpg
    Probus. 276-282 AD. Æ antoninianus. (22mm). Rome mint. Obv: PROBV-S PF AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right. Rev: VICTOR-IA GERM. Two captives seated at foot of trophy, R A A in exergue. RIC V Part II 223.

6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

No good Probi, but Victorious coins of Gallienus are cool too:

VICTORIAE AVGG IT GERM, with a really unusual obverse legend and a rather fine style portrait.
    Gallienus AR Ant RIC 178 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

VICT GERM
    Gallienus AR Ant RIC Rome 174j.JPG

7. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

This is RIC V, 219, rated Rare
    Mint: Rome
    Year: 278

I checked a book called "Rom und die Germanen - das Zeugnis der Münzen", by B. Overbeck, which deals with numismatic evidence for Roman victories over the Germanic people.

The author shows only two reverse types for Antoniniani with Germanic victory reference, the common RIC 220-223 variants and the above rare RIC 219.

Despite his title as Gothicus Maximus, Probus had no coins minted referring to a victory over the Goths. His various victories over Burgundians, Vandals, Alamanns and Franks, occurred on the territory of modern Germany and would have been referenced with VICTORIA GERMANICA.
    These victories were apparently not very decisive though. His successor Carus immediately had to deal with an attack of Alamanni when he became emperor.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Orielensis and PeteB like this.
  8. barnaba6

barnaba6 Well-Known Member

The Victoria Germ reverse was also struck under Probus at Ticinum (these coins are much, much rarer than similar coins from the Rome mint). Here are two examples from the Ticinum mint from my specialized Probus collection:

https://www.colleconline.com/en/items/125772/coin-ancient-to-roman-probus-ric-425-var-e1-bust

https://www.colleconline.com/en/items/125771/coin-ancient-to-roman-probus-ric-425-var-b-bust

You won't find a Victoria Gothica Probus coin out there.

Roman Collector and Tejas like this.
  9. barnaba6

barnaba6 Well-Known Member

Roman Collector and Tejas like this.
  10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

My Rome example

[​IMG]
    Antoninianus minted at Rome, AD 278-280
    IMP PROBVS AVG, Radiate and cuirassed bust of Probus right
    VICTORIA GERM, Two captives under a trophy. R*A at exergue
    4.32 gr
    Ref : RIC #222, RCV #12055, Cohen #768

Q

11. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

It is probably worth looking at the VICTORIA GERM legend with some chronological context.

The Victory walking right between two captives, holding wreath and trophy type is allocated to Emission 3 by Pink (A.D. 278)
    The VICTORIA GERM, Trophy between two captives type is issued across multiple emissions
    Emission 3 - Star - (A.D. 278)
    Illustrated by @Cucumbor directly above
    Emission 4 - Crescent - (A.D. 279)
    [​IMG]
    Emission 5 - Wreath - (A.D. 280)
    [​IMG]
    Emission 6 - Thunderbolt - (A.D. 281)
    [​IMG]
    Emission 7 - A (AEQVITI coded series) - (A.D. 282)
    [​IMG]

So is Probus celebrating a new victory every year here or is he repeatedly declaring the same victory? I don't know enough to answer that.

Draft saved Draft deleted