...Probus...Face Thyself!...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Jun 18, 2019.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Just got these in today, along with another ancient..these measure 21 & 23 mm respectively and weigh in at 3.83 & 3.18 grams. Still a lil silvering on the 1st one(i thought from the sellers pics it was BD, but yay, it wasn't:)). Probus was an interesting dude and had a purdy long career afa emperors of the 3rd century crisis goes, from 276 to 282 AD, but he was killed by his own troops like many before and after him..he was the last emperor to give credence to the senate.. The reverses show Jupiter either handing or holding a globe to or with the emperor, right facing reverse is Concordia and the left one is Clementia temp (Antioch i reckon).

POST YOUR COINS N COMMENTS PEEPS! :) Probus coins groundhog 002.JPG Probus coins groundhog 003.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Very nice, @ominus1!! I like the Clementia Temp types. Here is a humble one:
    [​IMG]
    Probus, AE Antoninianus,
    Struck 276-282 AD, Antioch Mint

Obverse: IMP CM AVR PROBVS PF AVG, radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: CLEMENTIA TEMP, emperor standing right, holding scepter and receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter, standing left, holding scepter, officina letter A in lower center.
    Exergue: XXI
    References: RIC V Antioch 922

4. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Nice ones G - still no Probus for me.

ominus1 likes this.
  5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I like Probus. I only have one coin for him, but definitely will add more eventually. Probus was a very competent emperor, so it's a shame his troops murdered him. By all accounts, the soldiers immediately regretted their action.

3ckHaAp2L45noEM7B8aF9xTq85qWtE.jpg

6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice Probus both with differing garment styles, congrats. 217020 (3).jpg
    Probus AD 276-282. Rome
    Antoninianus Æ silvered

23mm., 4,96g.

IMP PROBVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right, with Medusa on breastplate / ROMAE AETER, hexastyle temple within which statue of Roma holding Victory or Palladium and sceptre, in exergue, R crescent Γ.

7. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Got this one from the bottom of a $20 pick bin/bag at NYINC a couple years ago...I think it was a steal, I love the reverse. Never fully attributed it, but I believe it’s from Serdica.

19C99CB7-C3B8-4279-97BD-0BD4042FB38A.jpeg
    2285D418-9382-4ABD-9A87-5A1F61262D83.jpeg

IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate and mantled bust right, holding eagle-tipped scepter/ Rev. SOL INVICTO, Sol in spread Quadriga holding whip, KAΓ in exergue

8. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Here are the attributions and my own examples for comparison to the the OP coins

Probus
    Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– CLEMENTIA TEMP, Jupiter standing left with scepter, giving globe surmounted by eagle to Probus
    Minted in Antioch (B in centre field, XXI in exe)
    Reference:– RIC 921 Bust type C

[​IMG]

Probus
    Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate bust left in consular robe holding eagle-tipped scepter in left
    Rev:– CONCORD MILIT, Emperor standing right, clasping hand of Concordia
    Minted in Siscia (T / XXI)
    Reference:– Alfoldi type 26, no 110. RIC 650 Bust Type H

[​IMG]

The gorgeous example from Serdica shared by @Shea19 was an absolute steal. The right facing busts are more desirable than the standard left facing type.

That one would be a RIC 861 var.

Here is my standard leftie for 861.

[​IMG]

And of course there are several other busts to look out for too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a left-right combination from RIC 862 (without the P F)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Martin

9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

One of the nice things about Probus is that there are many coins of his in nice condition available for reasonable prices. As already pointed out, there are a lot of interesting bust types and other potential sub-collection possibilities. He would be a great emperor for a beginning collector to focus on, and one could go a long, long time before exhausting all the different types.

This coin here has a nice obverse, and I like the PAX reverse type, but the reverse is poorly struck from a weak die. I should probably try to upgrade it, but here it is:
    [​IMG]
    Billon Antoninianus
    Siscia mint
    Obv: IMP C PROBVS P F AVG
    Rev: PAX AVG - Pax, standing, facing left, holding scepter and olive branch
    XXI in exergue; T in right field
    RIC 706
    22mm, 4.2g.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

11. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Nice!!
    This is a new Probus that I picked up..
    I love the toning, great strike and awesome Victory..

[​IMG]
    RIC 215, Antoninianus
    OBV.: PROBVS P F AVG
    Radiate, and cuirassed bust right.
    REV.: VICTORIA AVG
    Victory advancing left, holding wreath and trophy.
    R (thunderbolt) S in exergue (if that is an "s" .. also see "stigma" (6) ?)
    22mm, 4.5 g.

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here are my only left-facing Probus issues:

[​IMG]
    Probus, AD 276-282.
    Roman billon antoninianus; 3.78 g, 20.1 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, AD 277-280.
    Obv: IMP PROBVS P F AVG, radiate bust right in consular robe, eagle tipped scepter in right hand.
    Rev: ROMAE AETER, temple, statue of Roma seated facing inside; in exergue, R * A.
    Refs: RIC 183; Cohen 533; RCV 12027 var.

[​IMG]
    Probus, AD 276-282.
    Roman billon Antoninianus 3.25 g; 21.7 mm.
    Ticinium mint, AD 280-82.
    Obv: VIRTVS PROBI AVG, Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust, left, holding spear and shield.
    Rev: SALVS AVG, Salus standing right, feeding serpent held in arms. V in left field; * in right field, TXXI in exergue.
    Refs: RIC-500; Cohen 584.

13. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Nice new Probies! I'm still looking for one of those Saturninus fillers.:watching:
    Here's my latest:
    64761E26-24EF-4064-93F5-A5194B435178.png

Probus
    AD276-282.Antioch Antoninianus Æ silvered 20mm., 3,42g. IMP C M AVR PROVBS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / RESTITVT ORBIS, female personification of Orbis Terrarumstanding, facing right, holding wreath, emperor standing, facing left, holding globe and scepter, ЄΔ between, XXI in exergue. very fine RIC 925.

14. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Let me show some Probi that are slightly or not-so-slightly different. The first is an antoninianus with less angular portrait.

2568 Probus ct.jpg

Probus 276-282, Antoninianus, Lyons mint, 279. Obv. Radiate and cuirassed bust right. IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG. Rev. Laetitia standing slightly to the left, holding wreath and sceptre. LAETITIA AVGVSTI. Traces of silvering. 21 mm, 4.08 gr. Apparently from a large hoard from Lyons.

2564 Probus misslag kl.jpg

Probus 276-282, Antoninianus error strike. Obv. Helmeted bust to the right with text SPFAVG, double strike. Rev. Jupiter with lightning, IOVI CONS PR(OB AVG). 25 x 21 cm, 3.12 gr. RIC 175, Rome.

2566 Probus brockage wo.jpg

This patina'ed brockage actually enhances the portrait and the attraction of the coin.
    Probus 276-282, Antoninianus brockage. Obv. Radiate, cuirassed bust to the left. IMPPRO BVSAVG. Rev. Same, incuse. 21.5/24 mm, 3.45 gr.

15. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's mine (will be upgraded)

probus3.jpg

probus4.jpg

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I remain convinced that coins of Probus would be much more popular had he lived just a couple decades earlier when silver coins were still silver enough not to need the silver wash that has left so many otherwise decent coins blotchy and unattractive.
    rs2750bb1765.jpg rs2890bb1529.jpg rs3070bb1501.jpg

17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Here's a lefty and righty probus!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the attribution help, Martin...I was definitely lucky to find this one in the bargain bag, you never know what'll turn up in there.

I love that brockage, @Pellinore, that's a great coin.

Orange Julius and Pellinore like this.
  19. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Saturninus caused Probus
    Probus_RIC922_LowRes.JPG

Coming to visit Probus
    ProbusRIC58.jpg

Foresight Probus
    ProbusRIC720.jpg

Sol's sweet ride Probus
    ProbusRIC911.jpg

20. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Doug, on your second coin, I don't recall seeing an example of all the "dots" or whatever, below the quadriga. Do you know what they represent?

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This was a Chariot of Fire. Those are the flames we associate with Sol. That one is the best I have seen. Below is one with longer and fewer flames.
    rs2910b01457lg.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted