PROBUS death

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Oct 31, 2020.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

If you are willing to accept a lesser example say fully silvered EF then these have sold for not much over $100

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

I didn't mean to kill the thread......

In an attempt to keep it going here are some Issue 1 coin types from Rome:-

CONSERVAT AVG
    [​IMG]
    IOVI STATORI
    [​IMG]
    SALVS AVG
    [​IMG]

4. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Probus, AD 276-282. BI Antoninianus (21mm, 4.46g). Rome, 6th officina, 6th emission, AD 281. Obv: IMP C PROB-VS P F AVG; Radiate, cuirassed bust of Probus right, seen from the front. Rev: VICTO-RIA AVG, Victoria walking left with wreath in right hand and trophy in left; R thunderbolt Ϛ in exergue. Ref: RIC V.II, 213.

zbcdef.jpg

5. singig

singig Well-Known Member

nice coins , keep going !

6. maridvnvm

Some Sol types from Rome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Hi @DonnaML - responding a bit late to your question. The short answer on this is: a lot of tedious work to sequence the issuing of coins :) hoard evidence, die links and die studies are the type of evidence that I think is the most useful to decide the order in which coins were issued. Here's a CT thread on the topic.

My Probus coin as a relevant example:
    - the die link confirms the two issues were both 7th emission and same workshop

Also fun: my coin was missing from the Probus Coins database and is now added. I have updated the references: Probus Coins 4980 (this coin)
    [​IMG]
    Probus, AE Radiate, Siscia, AD 276-282, minted 280 AD, emission 7, officina 6, Bastien bust code H2,
    Obv: IMP PROBVS P F AVG, radiate and mantled bust left, holding eagle-tipped sceptre.
    Rev: SALVS AVG, Salus standing right, feeding serpent held in arms; VI to right, XXI in exergue (Type A)
    Ref: RIC 748, Probus Coins 4980 (this coin)
    Rarity: Scarce, the Salus from officina VI is a reverse die link with Probus Coins 4644

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    gogili1977, Curtisimo, Edessa and 5 others like this.
  8. barnaba6

barnaba6 Well-Known Member

Great Thread!

I am a big lover of Probus coins myself and since 2017 the co-author of the Probvs.net website mentioned at the beginning of this thread (together with Grzegorz Kryszczuk who is its main author and the creator).

Like Martin (maridvnvm) I have so many Probus coins in my collection that I would kill this thread if I were to show them all. I will therefore show in the next posts some of my favorite ones.

Curtis likes this.
  9. barnaba6

Some nice coins from Lugdunum:
    10.jpg
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

10. barnaba6

A few nice coins from Rome:

7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg

11. barnaba6

A few nice ones from Ticinum:

11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

12. barnaba6

Some more from Ticinum:

16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg

13. barnaba6

A few nice ones from Siscia:

21.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg 25.jpg

14. barnaba6

A few more nice ones from Siscia:

26.jpg 27.jpg 28.jpg 29.jpg 30.jpg

15. Sulla80

Curtisimo and Roman Collector like this.
  16. barnaba6

Some nice ones from Serdica:

31.jpg 32.jpg 33.jpg 34.jpg 35.jpg

17. barnaba6

A few nice ones from Cyzicus:

36.jpg 37.jpg 38.jpg 39.jpg 40.jpg

18. barnaba6

Some nice ones from the oriental mints (Antiochia, Tripolis and 4th unspecified eastern mint):

41.jpg 42.jpg 43.jpg 44.jpg 45.jpg

19. barnaba6

Thanks! I agree.

The coinage of Probus is so rich and abundant that we could do a separate thread only on shield decorations and that would be a very large thread! We could also narrow it down to only depictions of Medusa on shields of Probus coins.

In the coinage of Probus Medusa shields were struck in Lugdunum, Rome, Ticinum, Siscia, Serdica and Kyzikos mints. Each mint had its unique style. However I always felt that the Roman Medusa is particularly elegant and detailed and much finer in style, than say Medusa on Probus' coins from Lugdunum or Ticinum.

nicholasz219 and Sulla80 like this.
  20. barnaba6

DonnaML said:
    I'm a little embarrassed to have to ask this question, but how is the emission number on this, and other coins, determined? There's no such number on the coin itself, certainly. I've often wondered about where that kind of information comes from.
    What I would add is that classification of emmissions is to some extent arbitrary due to lack of ancient written sources and represents the subjective opinion of a (modern) scholar who specializes in a particular coinage. These classifications are subject to revision and critique over time, as new hoards appear etc.

For example in the coinage of Probus we still largely rely on the classification of emmissions proposed by Karl Pink in 1949 (except for a few mints where we have newer works, e.g. Pierre Bastien for Lugdunum Mint, Jean Guillemain for Rome mint, Philippe Gysen for Serdica mint etc.).

DonnaML, Roman Collector and Sulla80 like this.
  21. Sulla80

not my coin:
    upload_2020-11-8_10-31-49.png
    Thanks for mentioning, @dougsmit, your coveted coin deserves attention for more than its impressive price. These rare coins from Sisica with the emperor in military attire with spear and shield holding the head of a horse by reins have prompted various interpretations of the horse:
    • a reference to Probus rising through the cavalry ranks
    • a reference to Probus as a member of order equites, from which the army chose him as emperor in the east
    • a sign of the importance of the cavalry in imperial victories
    • a reference to an Adventus (arrival of the emperor)
    Claudius II had an earlier coin using this horse head on obverse (not my coin):
    upload_2020-11-8_10-33-44.png
    A full catalog of all specimen from 2012 with notes and images for this type can be found online here (the source for images above as well):
    Numizmatičke Vijesti, Vol. 54 No. 65, 2012

Curtisimo, singig, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted