Probus Clementia Temp

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Matthew Kruse, Jul 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

A very generous gift from @Ocatarinetabellatchitchix arrived today. I tried my best to identify it, please let me know if I did this correctly. :)

IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG
    CLEMENTIA TEMP
    Emperor Probus
    Antioch Mint
    Antoninianus

Emperor standing right, holding eagle-tipped sceptre and receiving globe from Jupiter, standing left, holding sceptre.

I couldn't tell what was in the "lower middle field," does anyone have an idea?

Something I found fascinating is how XXI means the coin is 20 parts copper and 1 part silver. I read that Clementia Temps slowly decreased in the amount of silver. I could imagine there would be a response similar to when the US removed the silver from coins, or went off the gold/silver standard.

It is nice how the details show contrast from the rest of the coin because of the lighter color.

Thanks for reading, please post any coins you feel relevant. :woot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Here is a comparable coin from my collection:

IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG // CLEMENTIA TEMP -- XXI
    Letter A between Emperor and Jupiter.

Yours seem to show a different letter (S?)

Mint: Antioch
    Date: 276 - 282
    Weight: 3.21 gm (very large flan)
    RIC 922

Your coin looks very coppery. Mine appears to be of relatively good silver for these issues.

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 07.53.22.png

4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Nice gift and nice coin. Here is mine, similar to the one shown by Tejas.
    upload_2021-7-27_9-15-45.png

RIC V Probus 922 from Antioch, A/XXI

I can't tell the mintmark on the OP coin, but it could be ς//XXI

5. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Your attribution is close but not quite there. This coin has the distinctive style of the Tripolis mint rather than Antioch. There isn't anything in the lower middle field. As such the attribution would be as follows:-

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– CLEMENTIA TEMP, Emperor standing right, holding sceptre, receiving globe from Jupiter, standing left, holding sceptre
    Minted in Tripolis (wreath in top centre field, XXI in exe.) Emission 2 Officina 1. circa A.D. 280
    Reference:– RIC 927 Bust type C

Regards,
    Martin

6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Thats a nice gift, congrats.

relevant coins:

P1180014.JPG P1180041.JPG

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Quadriga
    Probus. AE Antoninus. 276-282 AD. Cyzicus.
    IMP CM AVR PROBVS PF AVG, radiate bust left wearing imperial
    mantle, holding eagle-tipped sceptre
    SOLI INVICTO, Sol in spread quadriga facing.
    CM in lower centre.
    Mintmark XXIP. RIC V-2 Cyzicus 911.
    Heavy Silver Plate
    Number 44 Probus 911.jpg

8. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

The OP coin seems to be covered with some kind of light green dirt, which may be worth removing. I know this is controversial and not everybody would agree, but if the green dirt is loose you could use some plasticine (Blu Tack, White Tack) and gently roll it over the coin. This may remove the light green dirt and improve the appearance of the coin. I'm usually not a great fan of cleaning, but in this case it may be worth considering.

Matthew Kruse and Inspector43 like this.
  9. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Matthew, I'm glad your coin arrived safely at its new home. I join the relevant pages of the RIC vol.5 for your Probus; you'll be able to become familiar with this essential reference source.

9683AEF3-BADE-49F4-BAAB-0A88614AFF21.jpeg
    F4AA17F5-8A4E-436F-B9B0-BE790C6E9B4A.jpeg
    82B9F113-BEC6-49EF-9CDA-9AE4AF715135.jpeg

2FB82BE8-D68D-450E-96BD-5413CCC10A6F.jpeg

10. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Interesting, does this mean I need to assign this coin to Tripolis?

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 15.19.55.png

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  11. maridvnvm

@Tejas That is not Antioch either. That is an interesting 1st emission of Cyzicus from A.D. 276 (Pink dating). RIC 905 Bust Type C.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  12. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Great, thanks a lot for the information. I always thought the coin was from Antioch. I really should invest more in literature.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  13. maridvnvm

14. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

What a great resource. Thanks a lot. Who is the author of this website?

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's RIC, which is not online in this form.

16. maridvnvm

probvs.net is a fantastic resource and was created by Grzegorz Kryszczuk. GK has moved on to other interests and I believe that the site is now dormant though was still active last year. I have hope that it will continue to be developed again in the future.

17. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

My literature is focused on the Dark Ages, which is also my main interest of collecting. For Roman coins I only have some basic books:
    • "Roman coins and their values" David R. Sear, 1988
    • "Die Münzen der römischen Kaiserzeit" Ursula Kampmann, 2011
    • "Roman Silver Coins - V Carausius to Romulus Augustus", C.E. King 2004

But I mostly research coins in online sources like OCRE, acsearch, Wildwinds and CoinArchive

18. barnaba6

barnaba6 Well-Known Member

I had the privilege to co-author the Probvs site with Grzegorz since 2017. The site is indeed currently dormant and will remain so for the foreseeable future for many reasons (mainly personal but also due to some difficulties with finding a new, reasonable and affordable domain for the site).

It is not true that Grzegorz abandoned his interest and passion for the coinage of Probus and/or moved to other interests. He remains a loyal Probus enthusiast and connoisseur!

I also have hope that Grzegorz will continue to develop the site again in the future and will definitely help him in any way possible.

19. barnaba6

barnaba6 Well-Known Member

If you are interested in the coinage of Probus - than apart from the Probvs.net website already discussed above - I strongly recommend the French Probus database created by Christophe Oliva (sadly no longer updated since some time):

https://probuscoins.fr/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted