Probus All Cleaned Up

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TJC, Jan 1, 2018.

1. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Here is the before and after results of cleaning this Probus / Mars Ant. This was done with a distilled water soak alternated with wet toothpick mechanical conservation over the course of 3.5 days. I have found that a big thing to remember when mechanically cleaning is to always work with water on the area you are working on. Also, use tiny circles.

This Probus caught my eye mainly because of the reverse and I like silvered ants. The coins remaining desert patina was not very appealing to me (especially the on the obverse) so I decided to clean Probus up a little. Although there is still small bits of dirt here and there remaining I am happy with the results.:) What do you think?

BEFORE:
    ProbusMars339xO3.jpg ProbusMars339Rx3.jpg

AFTER:
    ProbusMars339sO1_edited-2.jpg ProbusMars339sR2_edited-1.jpg

Feel free to share your before and afters along with the conservation method used.

tbc, Ajax, ancientone and 22 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

What, no soaks in lemon juice for 5 hours? Just kidding.

You used the gentle approach, were patient, and as a result you are rewarded with beautiful results.

TJC and Andres2 like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Well said, Sallent. I probably would not have done anything to a coin that good looking but you were wise enough to stop when you did and not ruin it.

Mikey Zee, galba68 and TJC like this.
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Looks good!

6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Silvered ants are particularly difficult to clean. A coin like yours would probably intimidate me, and like Doug, I probably would have just left it as is. But your careful, patient approach really paid off, and I think it looks much better now. Congratulations on a job well done.

galba68 likes this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I like the before too, but sweet job

8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I also like both versions but the second is very nice....and I'm glad you were gentle:)

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@YOC cleaned this Postumus for me. I did a terrible photo, but you can still see his results. At the time, we thought it was a Bronze, but found that it was a SILVERED Ant. Cool:

RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Providentia GREEN.JPG
    RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Providentia.jpg
    RI Postumus 259-268 CE Antoninianus Cologne Providentia

And, here is a PROBUS:
    RI Probus 276-282 CE Ant 21mm Riding Horse.jpg
    RI Probus 276-282 CE Ant 21mm Riding Horse

10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

11. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice job! I would have been too timid at first and then too impatient.
    Does the silvering look flakey or solid to your eye? I worry that some silver coating will flake off during cleaning. I know RR fourrees have that problem, but I do not know about Ants.

Alegandron likes this.
  12. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Nice conservation job!! What was your cleaning method?

I think the best answer is that it depends on the coin. I the case of the OP Probus the silver remained intact without flaking. With harsher conservation methods such as metal picks the challenge is usually much tougher to not damage the surface while removing the grudge.

Draft saved Draft deleted