Probus AE Antoninianus Cleaning Project

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

probus-cleaning-08-29-2015.jpg

Probus AE Antoninianus, Tripolis mint, 276-282 AD, 4.2g, 21.67

OBV: IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate draped bust right.

REV: CLEMENTIA TEMP, emperor standing right, holding eagle tipped scepter, receiving globe from Jupiter. Mintmark KA.

REF: RIC V-2 Tripolis 927

This is a Probus Antoninianus that I obtained in 02-08-2012. I've been cleaning this coin off and on since then. I stopped a few times when I thought I was going to make a mistake then I resumed later on. I have some ideas on what to do to further improve the coin. The coin is getting closer to being done or as far as I want to clean it. I'm going to post the original coin photo in as found condition. It was always a challenging coin to clean with that really hard sediment on the coin.

probus-uncleaned.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, I like the first photo better than the second photo (hopefully the first photo is your coin's current look?)

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

The top photo is the current cleaning progress. The second photo is in as found condition or close to it.

stevex6 likes this.
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> sweet progress, my friend (congrats)

Gil-galad likes this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great job! I have zero interest in cleaning ancients, but I admire anyone that can accomplish it.

7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

It's fun cleaning ancient coins and don't expect to find what you want and expect to find coins you wouldn't normally expect to get.

Thanks John, much appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted