Probus ...a new addition.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by YOC, Feb 6, 2016.

1. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I did not not have a Probus in my collection, although I have wanted one for a while. I like their style and find them very appealing. However, as I generally buy groups of later coins, I just havent bumped into any. Yesterday I met a dealer/collector from my local area and bought a few coins from him. One was this coin, which i immediately spotted must have come from a hoard. The detail was there, but the fields were filled with a pale green hard deposit.
    I wish I had taken photos, because the transformation once I had soaked the coin in my witches brew was spectacular. I had no idea that the coin was silvered until I rubbed the green away with a cotton bud.
    The coin cost me £14 GBP, which I think was fair bearing in mind the condition it was in when I bought it, but I think its a bit better now. Please show me some of your Probus coins....the more silver the better!!
    ps. I cant make out the mint mark on this one...its R and then possibly a thunderbolt and another character??
    3.6g
    22mm
    feb 2016 007.JPG feb 2016 008.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

R "thunderbolt" gamma?

darn near flawless details on that bust!

here's mine of the type, of of my 4 probus coins from 2015.

[​IMG]

PROBUS Antoninianus, 276-282 AD
    O: IMP PROBVS AVG Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield. R: ADVENTVS AVG Emperor riding left hand raised, left holding sceptre; at foot, captive., R (star) S in ex. 20x24 mm, 3.8g Rome mint, RIC 157

Pishpash, TIF, stevex6 and 4 others like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow, what a beauty, YOC.

[​IMG]
    Probus (276-282 AD)
    AE silvered Antoninianus
    A: IMP CM AVR PROBVS PF AVG, radiate bust in imperial mantle l., holding eagle-tipped sceptre.
    R: SOLI INVICTO / CM / XXIT, radiate Sol in spread quadriga, hand risen, holding whip.
    22mm
    3.8g
    Cyzicus, 3rd officina
    RIC Vb Cyzicus 911

randygeki, Pishpash, TIF and 5 others like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I like Probus but don't have the rare ones like Martin may be showing. Instead I will address your statement:
    I have a real problem with silvering. 100% silver is great. 0% silver is fine with me. The problem comes when you have %0% silver arranged in a patchy pattern making it hard to see the designs.

Probus has three major portrait styles: Plain, Military and Consular. Each has many variations including some really rare ones but a general collector might want one of each as a starter.

Plain bust, little silver Tripolis mint Jupiter and emperor - KA alloy mark for 20:1
    rx2489bb2856.jpg

Same thing with silver - which is better?
    rx2490bb1492.jpg

Military bust - very different but similar
    Serdica - no silver
    rx2800b01414lg.JPG

Siscia silvered
    rx2900bb1455.jpg

Consular silvered Ticinum
    rx2985b01786lg.jpg
    Consular patchy silver Siscia
    rx3060bb1272.jpg

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Beautiful coin YOC.
    Probus 3.jpg Probus 6.jpg Probus 4.jpg Probus 5.jpg

7. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Thanks Bing!.
    Doug, patchy silver siscia is my favourite from your selection. Beautiful.
    The reason I was interested in seeing heavily silvered is because my coin looks silver, not just silvered. I was interested to see how many really heavily silvered coins are out there as usually as you rightly pointed out, they look patchy.
    Lovely coins everyone, thanks . I am drooling to own some more.

8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

great new addition YOC, love that obv. bust, added to my want list... heres my three Probus...

RIC5-222.jpg
    Probus AE Antoninianus. Rome mint. IMP PROBVS AVG, radiate & cuirassed bust right / VICTORIA GERM, Trophy between two captives, R-dot in crescent-A in ex.
    RIC V 222, crescent
    22mm 3.3g
    Refers to a victorious campaign in Gaul circa AD 278.

RIC5-862.jpg
    Probus, AE Antoninianus, AD 276-282. Serdica. IMP CM AVR PROBVS AVG,
    radiate bust left, wearing imperial mantle, holding eagle-tipped sceptre / SOLI
    INVICTO, Sol, radiate, holding globe and raising right hand, standing in facing,
    spread quadriga. Mintmark: KA dot gamma dot, RIC V-2 Serdica 862 var (bust
    type and officina).
    22.75mm 3.3g

RIC5-922A.jpg
    Probus AE Antoninianus. Antioch mint. 276-282 AD IMP C M AVR PROBVS P
    F AVG, radiate, draped & cuirassed bust right / CLEMENTIA TEMP, emperor
    standing right with sceptre, receiving Victory from Jupiter standing left with
    sceptre, A between. Mintmark XXI.
    RIC V 922, A

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Now that's minty fresh! Love the detail on the shield and cuirass.

No silvering...
    upload_2016-2-7_13-51-15.png

Patchy silvering...
    upload_2016-2-7_13-50-37.png

YOC, randygeki, Pishpash and 5 others like this.
  10. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I can only deduce that the cleaning methods employed by different dealers contribute to the silvering/patchy/no silvering. Most of the sharp coins in this thread are from hoards, that is irrefutable and certain acids I know dealers use will dissolve silver if left in too long, so poor timing and harsh cleaning methods sadly seem to be the contributing factors.

11. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The OP coin is very nice. It looks like officina 3 - Gamma. This is the closest I have.

Probus

Obv:– IMP PROBVS AVG, Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield
    Rev:– ADVENTVS AVG, Emperor riding left, right hand raised, left holding sceptre; at foot, captive
    Minted in Rome (R thunderbolt S (digamma) in exe) Emission 6 Officina 6. A.D. 280
    Reference(s) – RIC 157 Bust Type G

[​IMG]

Martin

stevex6, Jwt708, randygeki and 5 others like this.
  12. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

That's a lovely coin Martin, the reverse is fantastic.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Awesome coins all

pr321007.JPG Project1-2.jpg prb.JPG

ken454, stevex6 and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted