Problems from coin folders

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by turning2wood, Apr 16, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I don't believe that any coloring of coins from Whitman folders has EVER been touched by acetone. And I stand by that statement 100%. If acetone removes it, it was already there BEFORE it went in the Whitman.

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I agree. Acetone is a degreaser, but won't react chemically with corrosion or toning. Swishing a coin through acetone might cause a few flakes of corroded material to fall off, but that's strictly mechanical. Dealing effectively with corrosion takes skilled mechanical and/or chemical treatment.

Cal

4. John T.

John T. Active Member

I use a similar holder for my better coins, and yes in some cases the holder is worth as much as the coin. I think it's worth it to keep you're best.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Please reads this - https://www.cointalk.com/threads/coin-albums-holders-damaging-quality.314189/page-2#post-3046107

In that post I describe how coins should be properly stored.

The blue Whitman folders are arguably the worst. But pretty much all coin albums, old and new alike, and all kinds of albums not just the conventional cardboard type, are bad for coins. Sometimes they are bad because of the cardboard used to make them, other times they are bad because of the vinyl used to make them - all vinyl contains PVC plasticizers.

The one and only exception is if the album is labeled, described, or listed as being of archival quality. And very, very few are ! But even archival quality albums have their downsides. Some of them use the mylar slide covers - these can and will scratch coins as they are slid back and forth to add a new coin in the row or when one is removed. And with all albums you pretty much have to touch the coin in order to push it down into its hole. This can leave fingerprints on the coins, and if you use something to cover your fingers while doing this, it can and will at the least mar the surface and at the worst damage the luster.

Bottom line, coin albums are probably the worst thing ever invented for coins. In one way or another they are probably responsible for damaging and even destroying more coins than anything else !

turning2wood likes this.
  6. turning2wood

turning2wood New Member

Thank you Sir! You have help me out a great deal. I went and tossed out the four albums I have had. I was just an arm chair collector before and appreciate the help. Now I have some time and a purpose to my collecting, I want to make sure the coins I have are preserved for my kids kids. Thank you again!

Draft saved Draft deleted