Problems from coin folders

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by turning2wood, Apr 16, 2018.

1. turning2wood

turning2wood New Member

D4ED3574-5A96-46F1-8170-954EE0B6FF6F.jpeg 8F4442DB-33B4-4D3C-BC12-9AABF8C80162.jpeg 74F96B3B-A8F2-443B-B4F8-38713978B414.jpeg D4ED3574-5A96-46F1-8170-954EE0B6FF6F.jpeg 8F4442DB-33B4-4D3C-BC12-9AABF8C80162.jpeg 74F96B3B-A8F2-443B-B4F8-38713978B414.jpeg E74A510A-0876-4E12-A21B-55C272ABB533.jpeg Need some help with what I should do about the problems from these Whitman coin folders. I have had these for a really long time and I really haven’t looked at them it probably 8 to ten years because I have focused on other things. The Lincoln cents and getting the green corrosion on the 1980s. My franklin and standing liberty halves are getting blackened areas along with my mercury dimes. The Barber nickels seem fine. Should I take these out and neutralize them with something or rinse them to stop this and transfer them to a better holder. All my coins were always kept inside in an air conditioned envirment. I would appretitiate any advise someone can give on which way to proceed from here. Thanks!

Tina Lynch likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You're not gonna like hearing this but those old Whitman folders are just about the worst possible storage method there is. Between the sulfur saturated cardboard and the glue that the reverse of the coins rest directly against - the coins don't stand a chance.

I could type for an hour or more, or you could use the Search function and read it yourself. Use the words "proper storage" as your key words and put my user name in the box that says Posted By Member. That will bring up several threads where I describe proper storage methods.

4. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I too made the mistake of using Whitman folders and found they are an excellent way to induce edge corrosion of coins. I don't really have any advice on restoration, which can be tricky, especially for copper. Each coin needs to be examined by a knowledgeable person and then a decision made as to its fate. Most of my corroded cents went into a roll wrapper and then to the bank.

Best way to store coins is in inert plastic (polyester, polyethylene, polypropylene ... NOT vinyl). Inert flips are usually made of polyester; one brand of polyester is Mylar. Flips themselves can go into album-like pages mounted in a notebook. Alternate to flips are fold and staple or fold and stick, polyester-lined cardboard flips or holders. These can also be mounted in album-like pages.

Coins, especially copper, left in direct contact with cardboard will often corrode or tone.

Cal

turning2wood likes this.
  5. turning2wood

turning2wood New Member

I know these are bad now. I did some reading about that. I’m needing to know how to proceed from here. I realize the Lincoln cents are not a high dollar concern but the silver coins I would like to make sure I keep from causing any further problems.

6. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Whitman folders are cheap and that should say it all. Any coin of value should never be put in one of these. They are good as a starting point for kids to put circulated coinage in and get their feet wet in numismatics.

Dimedude2 and turning2wood like this.
  7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I've decided to remove mine that have been in the Whitman folders since the late 1950s. I just spent a ton of money on the Guardhouse Tetra 2 X 2 holders. The major disadvantage to this is, of course, that I will have to dump the holders out of a Guardhouse storage box to look at them. In many cases, the holder is worth more than the coin therein, but at least there will be no more natural toning to alter the looks.

[​IMG]

8. turning2wood

turning2wood New Member

Sad thing is that these were from when I was a kid. I’m just now realizing what the negative is with these. Just haven’t had them out for some time. All the coins I have bought as an adult are in 2x2 or slabs. I was just going back through everything getting an idea of what I had to make a will up for the grandkids inheritance.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Speaking strictly for me, AND strictly about the Lincoln cents, I see no problem here. But enough is enough. Time to find a new home for them.

10. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I still have coins I collected 50+ years ago in Whitman folders. None of the coins have much value except nostalgia.

11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

When I first read the title & saw the first few pics, I thought the problem was the empty holes!

12. turning2wood

turning2wood New Member

Haha yea that is a bigger problem!

13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

+1

turning2wood likes this.
  14. PROTOTYPE

PROTOTYPE New Member

Plastic flips is always the way to go for me. There are several brands out there, and are cheep if you buy a thousand at a time. Runs around 30ty or so dollars- if you want the best then consider buying the 1000 GENERIC ARCHIVAL 2x2 double pocket flips. Most collectors will buy the cheap 1000 Generic double pocket flips- do not do it! Get the Archival----------these have no PCB in them and no worries about PCB damage. I have ten x ten lock box's all done this way and no damage for the last two decades. As to rolling or 2x2 papering them- just waiting to have a finger print on them- that is another story.
    Hope helped - chuck

turning2wood likes this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Just be careful they ARE archival and do not just CLAIM to be archival. I've seen so-called "archival" flips that absolutely are NOT ANY SUCH THING!

PCB's are the toxic chemical found around railroad yards. The problem in flips is PVC. Does the flip smell "plasticky"? If it does, don't use it.

turning2wood likes this.
  16. turning2wood

turning2wood New Member

Does anyone know if once they are out of these folders will they need something done to stop the corrosion or the oxidation (blackening) on the silver coins?

17. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Nothing you can really do with cents from the 80's, the zinc is destroyed and they are cheap so I would just rebuy better coins and fill those spots but for the silver that's different. The silver just needs an acetone bath, there are plenty of threads on here talking about the great results people get from it and threads talking about proper usage of acetone which I would recommend you read before trying to clean with acetone. good luck!

JPeace$ likes this.
  18. turning2wood

turning2wood New Member

Thanks! I will do that. I know how to treat stainless steal for various things being a brewmaster but with soft metals and the numismatic value of things is a different thing.

19. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

Is this true of all coin folders? Between my kids and I, we have probably 20 Littleton Coin folders. Now I'm not super worried because we only use them to collect circulated coins, but it just got me wondering. Are the cheap whitmans more of a problem than other brands or are they all equally as bad?

Oh and @turning2wood I had that exact penny folder from Whitman when I was a kid. Recently found it and removed all the coins.

turning2wood likes this.
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Close, the plastic material is PVC (polyvinylchloride) but the bad actor here is usually DOP or dioctylphthalate which is an oily chemical used as a plasticizer for the PVC which is a brittle plastic when pure.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  21. turning2wood

turning2wood New Member

From what I’ve read is that all the older folder will do this. The chemicals in the ink and cardboard that was used causes this. The newer stuff is still hit or miss. Some of the higher end albums claim to be safe but the info on most everything else is hard to find or suspect.

Draft saved Draft deleted