Problem eBay Seller...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Phoenix21, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever bought from the user ymboyd?

I recently purchased a set of 5 silver quarter proof sets from him. After I bid, I noticed the coins in the picture were NOT the coins in the title or description. I could be lenient toward this, but I pointed it out to him nonetheless. I asked him if there was an error in the listing or with the picture, and if he had a wrong picture up in a listing of proof sets but had proof sets he was NOT selling as the picture, that I found it deceptive. I received this reply:

there is nothing wrong wrong with the order 2006,07, 98 ,09 &2010 silver proof qtrs. the picture may be wrong one but the title is correct also the discriptive is also right. you cannot revise a ad once there is a bib sorry if you question . your order on todays market is worth twice that amount. LMB.

After reading his spelling and looked up what LMB meant (I soon regretted it) I regretted ever bidding on this fellow's listing.

I decide to wait for the coins to arrive and see how they are. The listing was as follows:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221360813251&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

He clearly (as clearly as this guy could possibly get, I should say) stated that the boxes were unopened and everything was in pristine condition. I was worried about this guy being a problem, so I had my roommate video me opening the box and me showing on video the condition of the boxes. The boxes are worn pieces of junk, and have obviously been opened/used/messed with, not specified in the listing and obviously not in the fake picture he had up.

I am trying to return the item, but have heard no response from him. Am I covered by the eBay buyer protection due to his deceptiveness and his rude language in the messages I have had with him?

I really hope this doesn't end poorly for me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Yes you are fine just open a case

4. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

No, you are not covered due his deceptiveness and rude language.
    That is irrelevant.
    You are covered simply because you bought on ebay.

geekpryde and bkozak33 like this.
  5. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

BUncirculated and jallengomez like this.
  6. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

File a case, you should be covered. Especially with the description that they are "pristine".

7. Lucky Cuss

Lucky Cuss Cobrador de Plata

I presume you're referring to the hat in the background.

I've pretty much given on eBay, at least with respect to numismatic merchandise. Too many recent instances of the wrong item sent out by amateurs who know nothing about what they're selling, or think if it's counterfeit and they simply disclose that fact, that somehow makes it okay.

8. Phoenix21

He didn't use the word 'pristine'. That was me rephrasing as to how I took the auction. His listing was for uncirculated and unopened boxes, and that is not what I received.

Exact wording of the listing:

U/S.Mint proof set s of qtrs. unc & unopened /COA

9. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

LMB could also be his initials. Just sayin'.

BigTee44 likes this.
  10. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

This could just be a guess, but I'm guessing he didn't mean the boxes were unopened, but the cases that hold the coins were unopened. He states the same thing in his other auctions where the pictures make it obvious they have been opened(box)

Just a guess

jallengomez likes this.
  11. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

The second I received his reply, I would have filed a case. That is, if I hadn't already opened one when what I opened up wasn't what I had paid for. I cannot stand when sellers on ebay cannot type a simple response due to their illiteracy, intelligence, language barrier, etc. I feel like some use it as a shield to hide behind while trying to rip people off. It is a business transaction. It needs to be treated and handled as such.

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

So........was the OP intending to buy boxes or proof coins? What years did he receive?

13. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I agree. The boxes are not sealed to begin with. And he didn't claim they were perfect in the auction.

It doesn't say anything about the condition of anything except that the coins are uncirc and unopened. So it seems everything was as described.

I don't think the seller did anything wrong except mistakenly used the wrong photo.

The buyer can just do a return since the seller has a 14 day money back policy.

JPeace$ and jallengomez like this.
  14. Prime Mover

Prime Mover Active Member

You're right, somehow I confused the two. He never clarified which part was unopened, so you'd have to assume the boxes should look to be in decent shape.

I also agree with someone up above, the LMB may indeed be his initials and not a nastygram.

But, either way, there's a stated return policy of 14 days money back (minus shipping), so you're right to file a claim. If you're trying to contact him to get a return within that 14 days and he's not responding, that should be covered.

15. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

So......................

Its ok to do a return as long as you didn't get what you "thought" you were getting because you "read" too much into an eBay Listing?

I just need to get this stuff straight!

jallengomez and ROLLJUNKIE like this.
  16. ROLLJUNKIE

ROLLJUNKIE Active Member

I think if you screwed up and bid on six sets when the auction was for only five, you should take your lumps and move on. I have seen hundreds of auctions where there are two or more coins in the picture but the listing says it's for only one.

jallengomez likes this.
  17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

He clearly has a 14 day return policy. What is the problem? Return them and if there is a problem, tell eBay.

Even if he did not have the return policy, you could return them if they were significantly other than described. Simply file with eBay.

18. Phoenix21

I figured it was just the five sets. I don't have buyer's remorse other than the product wasn't described accurately and he was deceitful with his picture. I would be perfectly fine if the boxes weren't in such poor condition - so please, do not think of me as having mere buyer's remorse because I thought I was receiving six sets and only received five.

19. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

I also think there is a good chance those are just his initials, look at his ebay name...

20. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

US MINT ISSUED PRESIDENT DOLLARS 2008 8 ROLLS P@D (#220645498631) US $230.00

^ one of his recent. Looks like he doesn't mind not making money. Might have been better off spending them or searching them. You should include a tip with payment :)

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm in agreement with you fellows but I did get a chuckle out it......

jallengomez and Tinpot like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted