Probably bad timing....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrsushi66, Feb 3, 2005.

1. mrsushi66

mrsushi66 New Member

But I did it any way. I bought a monster box of the 2005 Silver Eagles. I have been debating on just keeping 3 or 4 rolls and selling off the rest to try pay for the ones I keep. Dunno if that is possible but I thought I would ask the folks out here if anyone has done that what they have found.

Paul

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well my goodness...you have a whole box...that is what I call a good investment (I'm going to get jumped on..I can just tell because I used the word..."Investment")
    Well if I were you and could afford it I would keep them...might be a good year for silver.

Speedy

4. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

I pick up Eagles every January for a really large group of people. (family, friends, co-workers) My dealer gives me his buy price so I can make a little on every coin which in turn provides me with some "freebies" for my efforts. It is a great way to get a few Eagles and make and keep a lot of friends who use the Eagles as gifts all year long and they don't have a clue how to go about getting them so every year they come back to me. Everyone is happy and the Eagle remains KING around here!

5. Defiant7

Defiant7 Enjoy the Insanity

I agree with speedy if you can afford it you should keep the box. If price of silver goes up you could sell them as what they are bullion. If silver drops alot, it means 2005 will be come a rare year, and 2005 eagles will become highly collectible and desirable for Silver Eagle collectors in years to come.

6. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

I think silver will make a big leap soon so I would sit on the Eagles for a tad bit and see what happens. Nothing like making a buck now and then to add to the old hobby war chest!!! Sure takes a load off of the old wallet!

7. Prethen

Prethen Senior Member

Why does anyone think silver will make any big leaps soon? I've heard this statement said for about 20 years now. Yep, occassionally silver makes a bit of a move. It's most dramatic was last year (within that 20 year span) but it fell back about 15%-20% too! I got caught up in the hype about 20 years ago and hoarded silver. I paid to keep it in a safe deposit box for years and years. When I finally got rid of it all, all I got out of it was a big lesson and less money than I put in. If you really like bullion, I would consider gold or platinum since the storage requirements are a bit smaller and the weight is a bit less.

8. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Help me understand this line of thinking :confused:

9. Ciscokid

Ciscokid New Member

Here Here!! But Prethen, I lubes silver so much :D

But you are right if you wanna hoard you wanna play investment? play gold or plat :eek: I do all 3 it's hell I tell ya :(

10. Defiant7

Defiant7 Enjoy the Insanity

There is no minimum or maxuim to how many bullion coins are made, because they generally made when the mint receives an order. When silver is dropping very few people buy large quantities of silver so very few people buy silver eagles from the mint, so the mint produces fewer coins. Down the road when collectors try to complete sets that year is difficult to find because of the lower quantities, and why they generally go for a higher premuim over spot then regular years. That is why years like 1996 and 1997 are more expensive then most other years.

11. musikman73

musikman73 New Member

Eagle timing

I lucked out this week. I was actually picking up 100 Uncirc Eagles from APMEX. I put them in Airtites, and use them as giveaways to my clients. They're pretty, they're bigger and more silver than Morgans, and they're cheaper..

I ordered the 100 Eagles on 2/8 and APMEX has this funky 5 minute bid-to-completion of order system.. Soooo, the quote was 8.13/ea quantity 100, but I couldn't fill the form in fast enough (I was on the 800 number for some help), so when I filled it out the 2nd time it was 8.11ea..

Okey dokey, saved two bucks. They ship 100 (5 tubes worth) for $14.95, which after looking a ebay sellers (they want $9-$12 per tube!), looked pretty good.

THEN I looked at the ending price today, 2/11/05, APMEX has the same coins listed at 7.97 buy/9.22 sell!

I would get all excited and fuzzy inside, but it's not for the "i" word, it's for my clients, but hey, looks like a saved a few bucks on the buy anyway, lol..

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Indeed you did save a few bucks - congrats !

But don't lose sight of the fact that precious metal prices are as volatile as the temperature is during the month of March. What I mean by that is that the prices can go up and down like a yo-yo. By next week or next month the price could be $7.50 each or $10.50 each.

13. musikman73

musikman73 New Member

You said:

"But don't lose sight of the fact that precious metal prices are as volatile as the temperature is during the month of March. What I mean by that is that the prices can go up and down like a yo-yo. By next week or next month the price could be $7.50 each or $10.50 each."

I'm with ya.. For me, it's an "investment" in "giveaways" to good clients. I put them in an airtites and hand them out during the year, so if it goes up, THEY'LL be the recipient of the good news. I used to give out Morgans, but it's hard to find them in decent shape (at least the eagles are "purty" for handing out -grin-).

Draft saved Draft deleted