Probably A Stupid Question On Finger Prints

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Layo6, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Layo6

Layo6 Member

There wasn't much literature on finger prints. How do you determine if fingerprints on a coin are truly PMD? DSC_6797.JPG DSC_6813.JPG DSC_6817.JPG DSC_6819.JPG DSC_6820.JPG DSC_6823.JPG DSC_6831.JPG DSC_6832.JPG DSC_6833.JPG DSC_6834.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

No such thing as a stupid question, we all have to start some place.
    OK fingerprints are not a good thing to have on a coin.
    Must likely happened in circulation.

Layo6 likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

All fingerprints are PMD.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not stupid at all. Your questions shows you are thinking. All fingerprints are PMD or Post Mint Damage and that's not good. :)

Layo6 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

A better definition would be PSD or Post-Strike Damage since it can't be determined if the fingerprint occurred before or after the coin left the Mint. In either case, it is still damage because the oils of the skin will etch into the surface of the coin.

Chris

Layo6 likes this.
  7. Layo6

Layo6 Member

Thank you and thanks for a breakdown on terminology. I greatly appreciate everyones help.

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

All fingerprints are considered to be PMD, even if the fingerprint is on a proof coin in a sealed mint package. If the fingerprint is new enough, it may be removable with a soak in pure acetone (like you can buy at a hardware store).

Layo6 likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Fingerprints, like chewing gum stuck to the coin, have to be PMD.

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Fingerprints are only pmd if they have been on long enough to not be able to be removed with acetone and start etching into the surface so you guys are correct but only giving half the story

Layo6 likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

That wasn't a stupid question. I got a good answer here from Cascade.

Cascade likes this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I have always thought of PMD as meaning "Post Minting Damage," rather than "Post Mint Damage."

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, but you know how some people can be if you don't spell everything out completely. When was the last time you heard someone use the term "post-minting damage"? Using the term "post-strike damage" avoids the chance of misinterpretation.

Chris

14. Layo6

Layo6 Member

So which terminology should I use in the future?

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I use PMD, which seems to be the more common usage. Others use PSD, which is probably more "accurate" technically. Probably doesn't matter for most audiences, as most collectors understand and accept both. It's damage either way.

Layo6 and Kentucky like this.
  16. Layo6

Layo6 Member

Thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted