Probably a 1917 SLQ, but just want to make sure...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ewomack, Sep 22, 2018.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I know the odds are very slim, but I just want to make sure that I have a 1917 and not a 1916 SLQ. It's definitely a Type I, with no mint mark, but of course the second half of the date is invisible
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I heard the differences are in the hair curl and the bottom of the robe. I looked at a number of examples online, but I would rather get opinions from people who know far more what they are talking about. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Best wishes someone tells you it is a 1916...

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

My eyes simply aren’t that good. Lady Liberty looks like she’s wearing a running shoe to me.

5. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

The reeding above her head is intact, so it is a 1917.

ewomack likes this.
  6. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It is most certainly a 1917. Sorry to break the news.

ewomack likes this.
  7. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I'm not surprised and I knew the odds were low, but some of the pictures I saw left me wanting to verify just in case one of those one in a billion things might happen.

Now I can put it back with the rest of the junk silver... :D

By the way, I didn't buy it, it was in a pile of SLQs that someone gave to me sometime in the past. I had never really looked at them, then I noticed a Type I among them. So no loss.

Thank you for confirming!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I go by the split in the ribbon, its the easiest pick up point for me. If it is split close to liberty, its a 1917, if further down its a 1916.

9. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Some other pickup points: if you can see the rivets on the shield, it’s almost always a 1917. If the details on the faces of the walls are crisp/not weak, it’s usually a 1917.

Out of curiosity, what is that big arc in the right obverse field? Is it damage or is it a die crack or a retained cud of some sort?

Draft saved Draft deleted