Prize for cointalk photography contest

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gbroke, Jul 4, 2012.

1. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Thank's again to LostDutchman for the great contest and generous prize.

http://www.cointalk.com/t206405/

I was able to image it today. It is my only slabbed Buffalo nickel. The coin is stunning with great luster and golden tones.
    The pressure was on to take a good image of the prize!
    I don't have much experience with imaging slabbed coins and I am still practicing.

Anyway, here it is.

1938 D Buffalo Nickel
    PCGS MS65

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit:
    One more to really show the luster, but at the expense of some detail.

[​IMG]

-greg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Modest fool......

Looks spectacular.......:) 'grats Greg.

4. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

The photography has to be perfect since you won the photography contest. Crack it out ;)

5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Tempting for sure. :)

6. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

One tip I have for this is taking a pic of the label and editing it into the image. Like this:
    shared_ii120785684ff3b5c999d1c.jpg

7. 2schnauzers2luv

2schnauzers2luv Junior Member

Hey Pumpkinpie: It is possible to do that with Photoscape?

8. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Good looking buffalo!
    I've won one of Matt's contests before, maybe even two. He's always been very prompt shipping the prizes out. Good guy.

Yes, yes indeed.

After both photos are edited, go to combine and drag the image of the obverse and reverse into the designated area.
    It is always best to have both photos around the same size, I like to use 500x500.

Now, from there, go back to the editor and select the image you just created. From the editing screen click on "Object" and click on generic photo image. (The mountain range, and the sun)
    Then select, "Photo..." and choose the photo you want...drag the photo to the appropriate size and position, and save your image.

9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I don't like to add text and labels to my actual images. I have quick access to the grading information if needed or I can choose to display it for the public. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

You might change your mind if you were posting more obscure pieces. Having the text and label as a part of the image can thwart the 50-questions follow-up you can sometimes get for less obvious items. Nonetheless, I agree with you that, in general, images are better without labels mucking things up.

Also, very nice images through plastic. About 99% of my images are through slabs, so I'm used to it -- actually, I don't remember the last time I imaged a raw coin! :D You are well deserving of the photography contest award!

11. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Thank you very much for the compliment.

What a different ball game when imaging slabs compared to raw! After trying out some imaging on other slabs, I quickly realized I need a slab cleaner of some sort. Sometimes, the coins in my slabs have shifted a little as well and that drives me nuts.

ps: Your images (and coins) are always great and I admire them.

Draft saved Draft deleted