Prize for all participating + A Grand Prize

Discussion in 'Contests' started by JCB1983, Jan 14, 2012.

1. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

This will have a fairly simple layout, but be fairly difficult as well. Simply put, give us a write-up of your favorite series. Any series for that matter. Franklins, Peace Dollars, a certain kind of ancient, half cents.... I could go on and on. Choose a series and give this some time, there is no rush. Just make it at least a page long, and please include some pictures. Do not and I repeat do not copy someone else’s work in the past. I will scan the internet to ensure. Please do your original work. Every single participant that meets the qualifications of at least one page (without counting Pictures) will be eligible for a prize. They will be interesting... I am not talking random wheat cents here folks. After one week (Next Friday) I will ask Senior Numismatists via PM which write-up they enjoyed the most/interesting. When I have a general idea from the seasoned vets, I will PM Peter/Doug requesting them to put the winning write-up on the home page (as a highlighted article). I will not display the grand prize at this time, but I assure you that you will be thoroughly happy. Good Luck, take it slow, do not steal others information, and enjoy. I hope that this will be a learning experience for all. Thank you kindly for your hard work. (I would also like to mention, that you are allowed to do the same series as someone else/just don’t copy their work. The winning prize will be worth at least $100 greysheet). Finally this is not restricted to YN’s. Everyone please participate. Have Fun :)

~Jason

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Will spelling, punctuation and grammar be considered in each evaluation?

Chris:smile

4. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

My Favorite
    My favorite series is the Walking liberty half dollar. I like the walking liberty, because it’s the prettiest coin in my opinion. I love the way the lady’s dress drifts in the wind. I love the sun rise/sun set behind her. It’s just a beautiful picture, and very imaginable. Another reason I love it so much is, because its 90% of my favorite medal, silver. Who doesn’t love silver? I also love how the walking liberty inspired the mint to make it on the bullion coin. It was a great idea. The walking liberty is a half dollar, which is my favorite coin (50 cent piece). I also love how to eagle is on the reverse of the coin.
    They also have my grandma’s birth year. This is the reason I love the walking liberty half dollar.

5. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Thanks ricky. How can I not give you a prize? Actually I was hoping for something informative. Not so much why do you personally like the series, but facts about it. An official write-up.

Hmm... Punctiuassion and spelllling? No LOL. I'm pretty sure that went out the window starting with my generation. (sadly)

6. Shamrock111

Shamrock111 Member

1878s_morgan_silver_dollar_obv.jpg 1881 S Morgan Silver Dollar MS63 O-3.gif
    Coin Collecting has always been a major part of my childhood. Now at the age of 18 I would have to say my favorite would have to be the Morgan Silver Dollar. There is nothing about this coin that does not scream beauty and liberty. They were so beautiful they were featured on the reverse of the 1886 silver certificates. Also when you pick one up, you can only imagine the history this coin has seen over its life. With five mints used over the Morgan Dollars 27 year span there are many varieties. With over two dozen varieties in the range of over 100x face value the pursuit for better pieces will never end. With a finesse of .900 silver weighing in at .77344 of an ounce, the Silver Dollar will always be backed by the rising silver market.

The Morgan Silver Dollar was designed by George T. Morgan who was sent from the Royal British Mint appointed by Mint Director Henry P. Linderman for the job. The Obverse of the Morgan Silver Dollar depicts the profile of Liberty with the face of an American rather then the Greek profile commonly put on coins. The reverse of the Morgan Silver Dollar depicts a bald eagle carrying three arrows and an olive branch in its claws. It was put to law by the Bland-Allison Act on February 28, 1878. Unfortunately under the Pittman Act of 1918 the United States melted over 270,232,722 Morgan Silver Dollars. The one problem they never kept track of which varieties that were melted. This makes the number of the varieties still available only estimates.

In the early days of the Morgan Silver Dollar the community of America hated it calling it the “buzzard dollar”from the skinny eagle or “cartwheels” from the large 38.1mm size. But over the years they have become iconic with the classic American coin styling that can still be found at the price of silver. Unlike older pieces that are out of the reach of the average collector. From the wild west to the to the world wars you can only imagine where it has been. From toned to DPML everyone is unique in its own way. There is no other run of a coin design that compares to the run of the famous Morgan Silver Dollar.

7. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

PMed you my address. What did I win?

8. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

Great idea for a contest Jason. This should make for some interesting reading. I'll be posting my contribution soon. Thanks.

9. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Good contest! Thanks. I may find the time to get something posted soon :)

10. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

Thanks guys. If you have already made an informative post as did shamrock please PM adress (all prizes will be shipped next week following the conclusion of the contest. Remember take your time on this. If yours is posted as a highlighted thread on the cointalk home page, you win the big one. One series/post per person and please only 50 + post members). Thanks

11. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Wow, what a great idea for a contest! I love it. I will have to do one on the Franklin Half. I'll try to get it written in the next couple days.

12. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

My favorite series is one that I didn’t even know existed. It was by a stroke of luck and some curiosity and research on my part that I discovered it. In the early 1970’s, I was the first kid in my neighborhood to buy a metal detector. With a huge public park just a block away, I was having a great time finding hundreds of old coins, both US and world. One fateful afternoon I uncovered a large silver coin with “Fifty Centavos” on it. I had never seen one before and flipped it over to see what country it was from. Brushing the dirt off, I see “United States of America”??? What? Well, there was no internet back then so getting to the bottom of this mystery took some time. Fortunately, that same park had a branch of the Public Library in it, and with some digging and a lot of reading I learned the story.

The coin of course was from The Philippines. Through my research I learned how the US acquired the Philippine Islands after the Spanish-American war and discovered a whole new series of coins to collect. It turns out the US produced coins for the Philippines from 1903 to 1945. All three branches of the mint were involved and the denominations spanned from the Half Centavo to the Peso. The coins share two common designs. Bronze and Copper-Nickel coins depict a man sitting besides an anvil with the volcanic Mt. Mayon in the background. This is said to represent the hard work and dedication of the Philippine people. The silver issues depict Liberty as a woman striking an anvil, again with Mt. Mayon in the background. This is said to represent the work of the United States towards strengthening and improving the Philippine way of life. On July 4, 1946, the Philippines became an independent republic.

I’ve always liked the design of these coins and over the years have amassed a sizable collection of all the denominations. Although my focus still is mainly on traditional US coins, the Philippine issues still are my favorite series to collect, because of the historic background of the coins and the personal memories they invoke.

GEDC2178.jpg GEDC2174.jpg

13. 1909svdb_600.jpg
    1922 obv unc.jpg
    1943-d.jpg
    1944-D.jpg
    1955-Doubled-Die-cent.jpg

I’ve been a collector of coins as long as I can remember. As a 90’s kid, I grew up with the statehood quarters. However, I would have to say that my favorite series is easily the wheat cent. My grandfather got me into coins as a young child, where he would give me rolls of coins, in particular, cents. I would hold onto each and every wheat cent that I would come across. I love them because they’re cheap and easy to find, but tell a good story. It is not uncommon to find a wheat cent dating back to World War II in one’s loose change.

The Lincoln cent was first introduced in 1909 to replace the Indian Head Cent. The year 1909 marked the 100[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s birth, and President Theodore Roosevelt felt that this design would best honor him. In August of 1909, the cent was first unveiled to the public. The obverse features a portrait of Lincoln, the first noncommerative coin to depict an actual person. The reverse has two ears of wheat on either side, to honor America’s Midwest. The coin itself created much controversy; the designer, Victor D. Brenner, had his initials at the bottom of the reverse, and the public felt that they were much too large. The initials were quickly removed from the dies, and later returned to the obverse in 1918. The coin’s design remained the same, but the composition changed significantly in 1943. Because of the need for copper for the war effort, the mint began using steel-zinc planchets instead. This was the only US coin ever produced that was magnetic. The coin was generally unpopular, and the mint returned to copper cents in 1944. The wheat cent was used until 1959, when it was replaced by the Lincoln Memorial Cent.

Because of its long run, the Lincoln Wheat Cent has a number of varieties, some of the most valuable American coins ever produced. The first image is of the 1909-S V.D.B. cent, one of the most iconic Lincoln cents produced. The coin had a short run – less than 500,000, before the VDB mark was removed. Few examples sell for under four figures. The next coin is the 1922 cent. In 1922, the Philadelphia mint produced no cents, but the Denver one did. Some coins were produced with a weak or missing mintmark, making them very valuable. The third coin imaged is the 1943-D copper cent. The cent was made out of steel that year, but a few were made from copper my error. There 1943-D copper cent is unique, fetching some $1.7 million in auction. The next is a 1944-D Steel cent, made by similar error. The final image is of a 1955 Double Die obverse. One of the clearest and most spectacular DDO coins, the 1955 is known for pulling high numbers in auction. Few coins have as many different and valuable varieties as the Lincoln Cent.

14. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

The Mercury Dime
    Okay, after 2 whole years of collecting coins (legitimately) I have come to develop a fond sense of love for the Mercury Dime (or Winged Liberty) series. Often called the “Mercury” Dime because in Mythology, Mercury had wings on the head too. Off the top of my head I can spout out a lot of information of this coin such as:

Designer: Adolph Alexander Weinman (Designer of the Walking Liberty Half and a few pattern coins)

Diameter: 17.9mm

Weight: 2.5 grams .900 fine silver .100 copper

ASW: .07234 troy oz.

This is my favorite series of coin for some odd reason and it has become the reason of my existence. I have collected quite a few of these coins and I can tell you it isn’t an easy feat to get the ones you want. These coins don’t tone easily, but when they do, they usually have unattractive toning. I have only seen 4 Mercury dimes I have actually liked the toning on. One of my favorite things about the Mercury Dime is that they are (mostly) easy to obtain. I have completed a short set of 1940-1945 in both circulated to uncirculated condition but am always looking to get an upgrade. Another plus to the series is that they aren’t the most expensive coin around. Sure you are probably going to pay about $1400 to get a (not so) nice 1916-D mercury dime, but to get a 1944 Mercury dime in MS65, your pocket isn’t hit hard. Every time I go to the coin shop I’ll take a look in the junk silver and pick out any higher grade Merc I can get my hands on. I have found about 15 AU+ later date Mercs to go into my collection for no more than melt. I have ventured a little into the earlier dates of the series, but have only been able to find culls at spot price. My favorite cull from the earlier dates is a good FR-02 1916-S that the reverse is pretty much gone with the wind. Some of my culls I plan on selling to anybody interested in lowball registry sets, but for now they are here with me. Some of my favorites in my personal collection are:

My 1937
    376347_279539488749753_100000811113850_702986_644795932_n.jpg
    1941-D
    391136_279539602083075_100000811113850_702987_719587765_n.jpg
    384745_279539798749722_100000811113850_702989_2009021598_n.jpg
    388212_279540155416353_100000811113850_702991_1997035749_n.jpg
    And my absolute favorite. Made this For Halloween because that was near the peak of my new obsession:
    144378d1320035083-127_7489.jpg

When I say an attractively toned Mercury dime, I mean this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-D-Mercury-Dime-NGC-MS68FB-Rainbow-Star-Toned-K4-/280804044113?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item416139ad51#ht_569wt_883

When I say an unattractively toned Mercury Dime I mean this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-Mercury-Dime-Old-small-Slab-ANACS-MS65FSB-Monster-Rainbow-Toned-Gem-K17-/280806221161?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item41615ae569#ht_693wt_883

Finding an attractively toned Mercury Dime is hard to do.

Now to let a few secondary favorites be voiced.
    Of course because I am a huge fan of Adolph Weinman, I have got to say his design on the Walking Liberty Half Dollar is more than legendary and underrated.
    Though I only have one example, it is my second favorite coin series in my collection:
    http://www.thecoinnection.com/member/shared/myCoin.php?a=142&c=img4edef195d1c39.jpg

15. mtvd23

mtvd23 New Member

My favorite series, although not worth much, is the United States Bicentennial Series. In celebration of 200th anniversary of the United States a contest was held nationwide to redesign the back of the Washington Quarter, Kennedy Half, and Eisenhower Dollar. 5,000 dollars was to be awarded to each winner. The winning designs were a colonial drummer and victory torch surrounded be 13 stars on the back of the quarter (my love of playing the drums is what drew me to these coins), Independence hall on the back of the Half dollar, and the Liberty Bell with the moon in the background on the dollar. They began minting the coins in 1975 putting the years 1776-1976 on the front of each coin. The coins were minted in Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco Mints. Because of a fear of not minting enough 1975 coins before the Bicentennial set mintage began (fear of causing a collecting hoard of the 1975 quarters, halves, and dollars) a bill was passed to continue minting 1974 until the Bicentennial set started minting. Because of the early minting in 1975 those of you looking for a 1975 quarter, half, or dollar will not find one. The proof and silver proofs were minted in San Francisco. Dollar coins minted in 1975 are considered type I and the dollar coins from 1976 are called type II (or Variety 1 and 2). The biggest change from 1975 to 1976 is they made the lettering sharper on the back of the dollar coin. From 1954 to 1973 the Department of the Treasury didn't pass any commemorative coins, until multiple attempts at the Bicentennial Set were proposed. They ended up minting way more coins then were needed for circulation and more than enough sets for collectors, making the bicentennial set have very little value in the collecting world. Regardless of this fact I am still a huge fan of the bicentennial coins and grab any of them I can find at face value.

I hope this has been informative and educational.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. wheatydigger

wheatydigger Member

I made a nicely written response, but then something happened and it claimed my account was logged out. everything was lost. I might try again later, but I'm pretty mad right now.

17. wheatydigger

wheatydigger Member

by the way, does anyone know how to restore lost content? it said it was auto saved

18. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

A synopsis of the Seated Liberty design

It is not easy for me to pick a favorite series of coinage, I enjoy most all coins ever produced by the United States, but there is one thattakes the crown, and that would be the beautiful Seated Liberty design. It isthe perfect combination of history and art. It was struck on 6 denominations(Half Dime, Dime, Twenty Cent, Quarter, Half Dollar, and Dollar), and spanned 55 years! When production had first begun, America was still a fledgling, inthe shadow of global superpowers such as Great Britain and France, by the end of its production in 1891, America had grown to dominate the globe.

The story of the Seated Liberty design begins in 1785 with the birth of Christian Gobrecht, the third chief engraver of the mint. Before his employment at the mint, Gobrecht was a Clock engraver in Baltimore. In 1811,the 26 year old Gobrecht moved to Philadelphia in 1811, where he soon foundwork as a die sinker. Fast forward 24 years. It is now 1835, and Gobrecht hasnow been hired as the Assistant Chief Engraver of the Mint, after a stroke by then Chief Engraver, William Kneass. From this point on, Gobrecht would do all pattern and die work for the mint.
    Plans for Seated Liberty first began in 1835 when Mint Director Robert Patterson hired a pair of artists, Titian Peale and Thomas Sully, to create a design for the Seated Liberty. Patterson gave many recommendations toSully, telling him precisely what he wanted. Patterson wanted Liberty sitting on a boulder, with a liberty pole in her right hand, he also knew what he wanted for the reverse- a natural looking eagle, he said a shield on the breast madet he eagle look unnatural, but it is obvious that a shield was placed on the eagle anyhow. Gobrecht used Sully’s sketches as a guide when producing thecopper plates with the realized design.

Half Dimes- Seated Liberty Half dimes were produced every year from 1837 until 1873. Mintages vary widely, with the most plentiful date being the 1853, with a mintage of 13.2 million, and the scarcestdate, 1867, with just 8,000 pieces struck for circulation! There are 6 varieties of Seated Half Dimes:
    1. No Stars (1837-38)
    2. Stars Around Rim, no drapery (1838-40)
    3. Drapery & Stars (1840-53)
    4. Arrows at date (1853-55)
    5. Arrows at date removed (1856-59)
    6. “The United States of America” motto type, replacing obverse stars (1860-73)

[​IMG]
    Dimes- Seated Liberty Dimes were minted every year from 1837 until 1891, the highest mintage of this coin is observedwith the 1891 Philadelphia issue at over 15 million pieces struck, and the lowest held with 1867 Philadelphia issue at a mere 6,000 examples struck! The varieties are nearly the same as the Seated Half Dime with a couple added:
    1. No Stars (1837-38)
    2. Stars Around Rim, no drapery (1838-40)
    3. Drapery & Stars (1840-53)
    4. Arrows at date (1853-55)
    5. Arrows at date removed (1856-59)
    6. “The United States of America” motto type, replacing obverse stars (1860-73)
    7. Arrows at Date [again!] (1873-74)
    8. Variety 6 resumed (1875-1891)

[​IMG]

Twenty Cent- The 20 cent piece was struck from 1875 until 1878, a direct result of the Comstock Lode, a discovery of Silverore at Virginia City, Nevada. The Twenty cent has low mintages for all of its 3 years, with one major outlier, the 1875 San Francisco issue, with a mintage of1.155 million; it exceeds the second highest mintage by over 900,000! While it shares the same basic obverse of its Seated Liberty sisters, there were a few changes… Instead of ‘United States of America’ circling the obverse design, ithas 13 stars, and more obvious is the reverse which is totally redesigned! It still has an eagle in the same position, it is very different, and in my opinion, the Eagle resembles a chicken more than a majestic Bald Eagle.

The toughest coin to acquire in this extremely short series is the 1877, of which a measly 350 proof were struck![​IMG]

Quarter- The 25c Seated Liberty was struck continuously from 1838 until 1891, the highest minted coin in this series is the 1876 issue,with a massive 17 million coins being struck at Philadelphia, the lowest issue is the 1873- Carson City, with only 4,000 examples struck, this proves to be an extremely tough date today. The Seated Quarter had varieties, as follows:
    1. Noreverse motto (1838-52)
    2. Arrows at Date, Rays reverse (1853)
    3. Arrows at Date, No rays (1854-55)
    4. No motto resumed (1856-1865)
    5. “In God We Trust” motto added to reverse (1866-1891)
    6. Arrows at Date (1873-74)
    7. Reverse Motto resumed (1875-91)
    [​IMG]

Half Dollar- The Seated Half Dollar was struck every year from 1839 until 1891, the highest minted coin, like the Seated Quarter, is the 1876, the smallest, being a super-rarity, is the 1853- New Orleans with an estimated 5, yes 5, struck! These can be collected with relative ease, but you will need to cough up some money for scarcer dates such as 1879 Philadelphia issue. Like all other Seated Liberty coins, the half being no exception, there is a short list of sub-types that were minted:
    1. Basic No Motto (1839-52)
    2. Arrows at Date, Rays Reverse (1853)
    3. Arrows at Date, Rays removed (1854-55)
    4. Basic No motto resumed (1856-66)
    5. Modified, motto ‘In God We Trust’ added (1866-91)
    6. Arrowsat Date (1873-74)
    7. With Motto Design restored (1875-1891)
    [​IMG]

Dollar- The Seated Liberty Dollar was struck every year from 1840 (not counting the Gobrecht type) until 1873; it wasthe first time since 1803 that Dollar coins were struck regularly for circulation.The Seated Dollar series is extremely tough to complete, due to the fact that most all mintages are low, with only 2 exceeding 1 million: 1871 & 1872.Seated Dollars are very often counterfeited and you should thoroughly inspect an example before purchasing it. Every date is tough, but dates like 1858 withonly 300 proofs minted or 1870-S, with only 12 minted are even more so. The Seated Dollar has only two varieties, No motto (1840-1866) and with motto(1866-1873). The coin was replaced with the Trade Dollar in 1873, opponents ofthe act called it “The Crime of ‘73”.

[​IMG]
    Understanding the Arrows modifications- The placement of Arrows on such dates as 1853 and 1873 are more than just artisticflare, they signify a change in weight for the coins bearing these signs. Due to increasing prices of Silver, the weights of Half Dimes to Half Dollars were reduced in 1853, and again modified in 1873.

19. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I might advise doing this on Word then copying and pasting it in your response.

20. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

My favorite coin is the United States Standing Liberty quarter. The design is my favorite amongst all coins I’ve collected and it’s also rich with history. The coin design replaced the Barber quarter and was selected through a contest run by the mint. The coin features Liberty on the obverse standing in between a gate with a shield in her left hand and an olive branch in her right, the reverse features a very nice eagle in flight with two wings spread high. Although first minted in 1916 the coin wasn’t released into public circulation until 1917 and would be minted until 1930 although no quarters were minted in 1922; with only two changes during that period. There are stories that there was public outcry in 1917 when the coin was released due to the coin being distasteful and obscene as the original design featured Liberty with one breast bare. Although the coins sculptor Hermon MacNeil is said to have asked for the design to be changed as he didn’t think the original design was up to his standards due to changes made by the mint to his design this led to a change in late 1917. Thus there are two versions of this coin referred to as type 1 with bare breast and type 2 with liberty wearing chain mail covering her breast. There were also changes to the reverse with the placement of the 13 stars in relation to the majestic flying eagle at this time being altered. They changed from seven stars on the left and six on the right too five on each side and three below the eagle. Interestingly the coin can be found quite readily in decent shape but with worn off dates, this is due to the fact when first minted and until 1925 the date was raised up off the coin which led to it wearing away during normal circulation which the mint recognized as a major problem. This led to the change in 1925 with the date being recessed to combat the excessive wear problem on the dates. I find a distinctive beauty in the coin especially the reverse’s eagle design. Ranked amongst all U.S. quarters I think it’s hard to find a more beautiful coin than the standing liberty that is more readily available in good condition and within the price range of most collectors making it easy enough to complete the entire set of mint years. This reason in my opinion makes it a nice place to start for someone getting into collecting as the coin itself is beautiful and the span of mint years is both limited but also challenging due to the problems with the dates wearing off found on earlier versions of the coin. I’ll finish with two photos.
    Type 1 (bare breast) and Type 2 (covered breast)
    600px-Standing_Liberty_Quarter_Type1_1917S_Obverse.jpg standing-liberty-quarter1.jpg

21. wheatydigger

wheatydigger Member

ok, here we go again :/
    out of all the possible coins, ranging from the $20 gold double eagle to the mere Roosevelt dime, I would have to pick something that can easily be found in your change. That's right, the Lincoln cent. old or new, I love them all. The production of the Lincoln cent began in august 1909, and they were designed by Victor David Brenner, whose initials can be viewed on a Lincoln cent even today. One of my favorite things about them is how easily obtainable they are. you can find the older wheat cents in change or buy a roll on the internet for a few dollars. If you are unbelievably lucky, you can find a key date wheat cent, like the 1909 s vdb or the 1914d. The 1909 s vdb cent is sought after by many people in the numismatic world. It is one of the most counterfeited coins because it price can go up to the thousands. Other popular wheat cents are the 1955 double die obverse, an error coin that is very expensive and very popular.

Now for a history lesson. I am taking you back in time (which is something I don't recommend that you do because you can create paradoxes and destroy the world) to the year 1905. You are Augustus Saint-Gaudens, a designer of statues. Theodore Roosevelt wants to hire you to design 5 coins, 4 gold coins and one cent. You managed to design the $20 gold coin (currently the st. Gaudens double eagle) and the other gold coins, but you already proposed 2 designs for the cent, but they have been denied. It is 1907 you are an old man, currently at the age of 59. You take your final breathe in august, but your popularity still lives on to this day.

Now fast forward to late 1908. You are Victor David Brenner, a popular medalist. Theodore Roosevelt was wanting a person to redesign the cent, so he (with the help of some cabinet members) chooses you. You were told that the president liked your work of a plaque of Abraham Lincoln, so you decide to make that your design. It gets approved! The one cent coin that you created included a bust of Abraham Lincoln on the obverse and two wheat ears, "one cent", and your initials on the reverse. The Lincoln cent was released on August, 1909.

The cent is a huge hit. Thousands of people line up at the mints the day the Lincoln cent was released, and the lucky people who managed to get their hands on a bag of 100 cents are able to sell them for a profit to the Lincoln cent-hungry crowds. Unfortunately, the government wants your initials off the cent because they were seen as advertisement. You are forced to take your initials off the coin, which causes a 3-day delay in the production. Other than this one problem, your coin has become a huge success, and it will stay that way for over 100 years.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to the past, but now I have to go to the facts. The vdb that was taken off the cent in 1909 was added back on in 1918. You can find the vdb today along the bottom of Lincoln's shoulder on the obverse of a cent. The Lincoln cent, sometimes called the wheat cent, had no design changes other than this until 1959. One thing that did change for only one year was the material. During world war 2, there was a shortage of vital copper and tin that were needed to make weapons. To solve this problem, the government salvaged all of the copper cents and replaced them with a magnetic zinc-steel alloy. The public didn't like this because the coins corroded easily and got confused with dimes. People proposed that it wouldn't get mixed up with dimes as much if there was a hole in the coin, but that never happened. somehow, approximately 40 known bronze cents escaped being melted, but they are currently in museums or private collectors. after 1943, the mint said that they would resume copper cents by melting down ammunition shells. The year 1944 and beyond all saw copper alloy cents, but many people don't think that ammunition shells were melted down to make the coins.

In 1959, the design of the wheat ears around a "one cent" was discontinued and replaced by the image of the Lincoln memorial in Washington, D.C. It was designed by the 10Th u.s mint engraver, Frank Gasparro. In 1973, copper prices began to rise and people started hoarding Lincoln cents. The government tried to solve this by replacing the metal with aluminum. People were afraid that the new coins would jam in their machines, and the government destroyed it's aluminum cents, but 14 remained missing. One aluminum cent is currently held at the Smithsonian institution.

Hoarding coins was a real problem in the late 1900s. Silver prices started to soar, so people hoarded silver. This problem was solved by making clad coins. in 1982, when copper prices started to rise, the government decided to change the 95% copper alloy cent to a cheaper and lighter 97% zinc alloy coin, which is the same alloy used today. the Lincoln cent with the memorial reverse ceased production in 2008, which makes it the longest running design on a coin (the Lincoln bust on the obverse) and that concludes my write-up.

unfortunately, I have a horrible computer and I am unable to upload any pictures. I hope that will not take points of my write-up. Here is a fact that you probably didn't know instead:
    -The Lincoln cent was the first coin to have the face of an actual person on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted