Printing of Currency

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Searcher64, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Others that are knowing of the printing process of the BEP. What do you know, of how the seals and serial numbers are printed on current notes?I know that the main plates are intaglio, but the seals and numbers, are not. Are they on a roller plate or a fixed plate, as to old hand type/Linotype block ones. On one of Coin Talk's post in the currency section, it has a picture of a $1.00 note with the left obv, district numbers, district seal dropping down at a 45% angle L to R to center bottom, but the right side is in the correct position. I know that the numbering indexer, has to be locked in the plate area, on that part of the press, and set by hand. I used to be a printer, along time ago. I have answered some of the others post as to what I knew, back when I was a printer.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

4. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Now, I know what happened to the $1.00 note, that was posted with the defect in printing. The book that explained the problem was wrong, in the other posting, because they did not understand the printing process. The rotatory chase, that holds the indexer, and seal dropped out of the that portion of the chase, and tilted down to what, I described in the first posting. It was not a miss print, from the paper. More notes were printed, till the problem was solved. Thanks for the information, lettow. If you go to Misalignment error of a $1.00 note listed by Funkee of 5 Jan 2014, and look down to the picture in the book, you will understand now what happened to the printing of the defect. If all will look at the printing picture moneyfactory.gov, that you directed me to, they will understand.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  5. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

6. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Thanks, funkee for posting the thread to the printing problem with the $1.00 note.

7. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I went to the ANA show in Atlanta Georgia and talked to a guy from the BEP. He said that the defect was not from a paper problem. It was mechanical with that part of the press. He said that he will check, on how the replacement numbers were applied to the 1929 Brown seal series for me, and let me know for sure what he finds. Some say they were printed before, and some say they were hand stampped.

8. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

If you mean the 1929 FRBNs, those star notes were handled exactly the same as the 1928 FRN star notes--preprinted with an independent sequence of serial numbers.

If you mean the 1929 Nationals, they used individually prepared replacement sheets. These sheets had bank information and Treasury seals but no serial numbers, and the serials were then applied as needed. There was an article in one of the publications just a few months ago that went into a lot of detail about these replacements and the presses used to produce them. I think it was in either Paper Money or Bank Note Reporter, but I forget which....

9. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Thanks , Numbers.
    I read the same article, but did not remember where. I had a discussion with a member about replacement notes on the 1929 Brown seal series, but he said that they were all star notes, but I remember that some of the Brown seals were not. Now you have ID that the 1929 FRBN were of the stars, and that the 1929 Nationals were of hand/other replacements type.

10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Replacement 1929 National. Note the poor numbers, the poor alignment of the numbers and the lack of centering relative to the Treasury Seal.

[​IMG]

11. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

Lettow, I also read that the numbers were hand stamped, and can be also ID by the fact that the numbers, and letters will be mushier, and out of alignment to the signatures too. No stars were used as I know of this series. I have talked to a BEP man at the ANA show in Atlanta, Georgia this week, and he is looking into it. He will let me know what he finds, in the history they have, and send me an email of it. I will post what he sends me.
    Thanks for your post too my post.

12. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

The guy above never gave me a answer. I have read other articles since, but nothing that would be any better information.

Draft saved Draft deleted