Princely states rupee dateline help.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by kforbes862, Sep 15, 2015.

1. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

This silver princely states rupee was only listed as ORCHHA state, silver 1 rupee. Does anyone know the date on this or how to read the date? Possible value? I paid $12.00. $_1-4.JPG $_1-5.JPG $_1-5.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kforbes862

Mean "date" in title, not "dateline".

4. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

These coins have two dates: a four-digit hijri (Islamic) date on the obverse and a two-digit regnal year on the reverse, indicated by red circles on the photo below. Neither date is fully legible. On the obverse, only a hint of [​IMG] ("2") or [​IMG] ("3") is discernible. On the reverse, the first digit of the regnal year is clearly [​IMG] ("3"). The second digit may or may not be [​IMG] ("7").

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  5. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Looks to me like a Shah Alam II rupee, C #32 in the Std Cat. So if the regnal year begins with a 3, then you have the choice of AH1232//30 (1816) or AH1251-58//31-39 (1835-42).

6. kforbes862

If it is a mughal coin, its not what it was listed as at all. That will teach me to bid without researching

7. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Not a Mughal coin per se, but a 'princely states' issue of the rulers of Orchha with a nod to the nominal Mughal emperor who, by that point, exercised very little real authority.

Draft saved Draft deleted