Pride of Two Nations Still Available (Sporadically) at US Mint

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by OzGirl, Aug 1, 2019.

1. OzGirl

OzGirl Member

I've managed to score 3 sets in the last few weeks. Time of availability seems to be early in the morning, maybe around 8:00 am or so? Not every day, maybe once a week or so. The first few times, the availability was literally for 5 minutes, if that, and then they were "unavailable" again. Since then, the time has inched up to maybe an hour or so before they are once again "unavailable".

All that being said, I see other places (Ebay, Apmex, etc) stating these are sold out at the US Mint, which is not altogether true. The price is still $139 at the US Mint, while obviously the others are charging significantly more based on it being "sold out".

At one point, I saw someone state on another thread that these could be sets that other customers have returned? I have examined my 3 sets, and I don't see any deterrents that would cause me to return them, but then again, I'm no expert, so.....

Curious what some of you might make of this set still being available, albeit very sporadically, at the US Mint.

Additional thought: Could the US Mint have decided to do a controlled release? Is that even a thing?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chucktee

chucktee Member

This set seems to have been consistently available for the past week or so. Originally I balked at the price but changed my mind after seeing some photos shared here.

Late last week I thought I had stumbled on a moment of opportunity and ordered one. Out of curiosity I've continued to check the Mint Web site and have not seen it show as "unavailable" since my purchase. I also see nothing in the set I received to suggest that it might have been another customer's return. They really are beautiful coins.

If you're interested...get 'em while they're hot!

OzGirl likes this.
  4. OzGirl

OzGirl Member

I had originally set up an alert so that the US Mint would let me know when these were first available for purchase. When I received the alert, I decided I really should not spend the $$ at that time. I soon regretted that decision when I saw they were "sold out".

Now that I have my 3 sets, which I agree with you are absolutely beautiful, esp the Eagle, I'm debating whether to snag a few more, since they seem to be available for the past week or so.

After showing my set to a co-worker, who to this point has not really bought or collected much, she bought her own set - she was blown away by the beauty of the Eagle compared to the regular frosted Eagle that comes out annually.

I'm still very curious as to WHY these are suddenly available via the US Mint, and I wonder if they have released them in batches, instead of all at once??

5. OzGirl

OzGirl Member

Well, I just found "Pride of Two Nations limited set" thread so that helps explain what may be happening here, I guess. At any rate, I'm very happy with the sets I received and I guess I'll just leave it at that. :)

6. MrCheeks

MrCheeks Active Member

I ordered my set at 1206 the day they came out and I'm glad I ordered one set. I don't think they've sold out although their sales numbers seemed to show they were fairly close to the 100,000 limit. I also don't think the secondary market is very hot for these graded special label nonsense that people pay ridiculous premiums for. MCM is already discounting all of the graded sets and special labels that they have. It's laughable. They are beautiful coins and I'm thinking about getting the set from the RCM so I can have both.

OzGirl likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The price is a killer for me. The Canadian coin is nice but the US coin leaves room for something better.

OzGirl likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Hey @OzGirl Have you collected any more W mintmark coins?

9. OzGirl

OzGirl Member

I'm curious... where do you find the sales numbers that show the Mint is fairly close to the 100,000 limit?

10. OzGirl

OzGirl Member

I do agree the price is a killer... I'm paying off my purchases (along with a few others) with this week's paycheck :bored::dead:;) And I have told myself, NO MORE, nothing, nada, until after January 1. Need to bulk up my savings, etc. LOL

But why, in your opinion, does the ASE in the set have room for improvement? Curious what your thoughts are...

And yes, I have collected more W mint marks. So far, I have collected 7 Lowell's (gave one to a co-worker, and one to my son), 3 Amer Memorial Park, and 2 War in the Pacific. Looking forward to finding the first San Antonio Missions quarter soon! :)

11. MrCheeks

MrCheeks Active Member

The mint's website releases sales numbers every week. For the week ending August 18th the number sold is 97950.

OzGirl likes this.
  12. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

I just placed my order, couldn't get it before. Thanks for the heads-up!

OzGirl likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

I haven't found a single W. Ally area gets is received coins.
    I just don't like the design.

14. OzGirl

OzGirl Member

Well then, it appears they are almost out of their 100,000.

15. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

I just read y'all's posts minutes before replying here, which led me to go check out the availability of this set. It was available. So I bought one! Thanks! I mean that from the viewpoint that I would probably have missed it and also, sarcastically, for depleting my discretionary funds for the remainder of the month. On the other hand, I went to the Fairfield (Calif.) Coin Show last weekend and refrained from spending, so I'm ahead in one way or another. How? Not sure. But I'm pleased.

OzGirl likes this.
  16. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I read an article that they had 10,000 sets reserved to sell at the ANA coin show last week. What is available now is probably left over from the sales there. I did buy an extra one. Still showing available.
    But I never did see an e-mail from them saying they were available again.

TheFinn and OzGirl like this.
  17. OzGirl

OzGirl Member

You guys going and buying one is tempting me to get more LOL..... is there any valid reason why I should own more than 3 sets? I keep telling myself NO. I will definitely be gifting one to my son for his birthday in November, one is for myself, and the 3rd one, well, I'm not sure yet. Based on that, I'm thinking I do not need a 4th one. :stop::stop::stop: Right??!

DEA likes this.
  18. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

I used to always buy 2 or 3 of everything when I could afford it. I'm retired now and can't afford as much.
    Go for it if you can afford it!

OzGirl likes this.
  19. OzGirl

OzGirl Member

Well then, I'm at your max (3) so that's another subtle hint that I have enough. :bored:

20. ljkvette

ljkvette Member

what is the upside of buying multiple sets?

21. Collecting Nut

Keep one and use the other sets for gifts or hopefully sell at a profit. Break open a set and fill holes in an album. Break open a set and have a coin sent to a TPG for a high grade slabbed coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted