Prices paid for Wartime Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Mr. Flute, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what people get for war nickels when selling - Ebay, LCS, bullion buyer, etc.

My local store store of preference buys them for $0.75 each.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Thecoin2

Thecoin2 New Member

They get about melt on the bay

4. nicscoin

nicscoin New Member

Currently we pay, $1.30 and up depending on quantity and where silver ounce price is at.

5. Thecoin2

Thecoin2 New Member

My coin shop pays about melt

6. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

...and I thought my store was bad buying them at around $1 and selling them at $3. The new store in town buys them for spot minus 10-15%.

If you have enough to make it worth your while to ship them, post them for sale here. They'll sell quickly at $1.50/ea shipped.

7. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I figured my preferred LCS was buying low on them, so I need to check with a couple of the other LCS. I have a little less than a roll from roll searching, so I was looking to pull out that value for myself (not much $ but a great return). I want to use this money to finance nice(r) coins for my collection.

8. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Nice! I haven't found anything but > 1945 nickels in maybe 10 boxes, so I gave up searching them...

9. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

Truth is, some shops pay too little. I know that one shop around here was buying junk silver at $18 per dollar face when melt was $25. They also sell for $3 over melt when another shop sells a dollar over melt. We buy gold places are the worst. I went to a show and someone was buying silver. He bought a dollar face for $22 when melt was a little over $23.

10. nicscoin

nicscoin New Member

Ya the Cash for Gold Places around here are definitely horrible, also the "Hotel Buyers" are worse, wish these people just stay out of the business and quite robbing people.

11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Most shops around me really lowball you on 35% and 40% silver. They're usually fair on 90%.
    So because of that, I generally sell war nicks on ebay, and there's one shop that pays a fair amount for 40%ers.

12. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack New Member

Dealer I sell to buys 90% at 96-98% of spot and 40% at 93-95% of spot depending on how much you've got and how much he likes you lol. I sell all my 40% to him.

13. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

You may be better off selling war nickels on Ebay since people need these for their set books. I found my first the other day, a 1943 P. I don't have any other in my set book. I am really only interested in the war nickels though, it was my grandfather's book.

14. clorox

clorox Member

Don't forget eBay takes 11% or so, so you're looking at about 89% of spot. But US coins will often go for more than spot. In fact I don't even look at auctions for US silver anymore because of the insane prices.

Draft saved Draft deleted