Price guides

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by National dealer, May 31, 2004.

1. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What you should have done was look him square in the eyes and say, "I'm sorry. I'm new to the area. I guess I'll have to keep looking for a reputable dealer." Then leave.

Chris

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Lord, folks are still answering a post from 2004 ?

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Sometimes I forget to look at the date of the original thread. Maybe Peter should consider having the following notice post automatically at the beginning for any thread more than 1 year old if it is opened..............

"Don't waste your time. This thread is 7 years old!"

5. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

LOL Chris, you crack me up.

6. Coinbrag

Coinbrag Junior Member

CoinBrag is also free although there's not been enough prices added by the coin community. On the plus side if you find your coin in the database and there's no price added, there's a quick link for searching completed eBay listings, so that you don't have to go through the trouble of searching and narrowing down all over again.

On another note about old threads, I frequent another site that uses vbulletin and they must have a plugin/addon that notifies posters if they are posting to an old thread. You click reply and then it asks if you realized you're posting to a year old thread or whatever and asks if you really want to do it.

7. Coinbrag

Coinbrag Junior Member

lol and now I've just replied to a 2 month old thread! In my defense, it was the 3rd post in this section and I haven't been here since April :p

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

lol Only someone from Ocala ;)

9. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Thanks for the neat Informal Thread! :smile

10. LunarHunter

LunarHunter New Member

thanks for posting that info!

11. highroller4321

highroller4321 Junior Member

www.numismedia.com is an OK guide. They are normally about 10-20% high (same as red book) If you want accurate prices go with greysheet. www.greysheet.com You can sign up or you can pay only once for the certain sheet that you want.

12. jolumoga

jolumoga Active Member

I think many newbies who are guided to the Gray Sheet may be led to the wrong path. Call me a skeptic, but I believe many of the most popular coins can be had at prices below so-called wholesale prices. Of course, the Grey Sheet is a bible of sorts for coin dealers, and no doubt they want the prices listed on it for their coins. But I think the internet has undermined the traditional brick-and-mortar coin dealerships, and continues to pose a significant threat to them, even as the hobby spreads to more people with the rising price of precious metals.

I think eBay is a decent gauge of market prices, but the trick to being an intelligent buyer is to wait for opportunities below the market value. For example, many eBay bidders overpay for generic Morgan dollars, but an intelligent eBay bidder can wait for deals to pop up that are mysteriously neglected by others (of course verifying the history and legitimacy of the sellers as well). Recently, I picked up an NGC-slabbed 1880-S Morgan dollar MS-62 (with a blazing cartwheel) for about $51.50 total. While some may denigrate an MS-62 Morgan, I doubt the Grey Sheet price would compete with that price. Also, this type of purchase is very typical for me when aiming for a specific date or type of popular coin. Even the local coin dealer would probably charge at least $5-10 more. Apmex also offers occasional deals on popular and relatively rare issues that greatly undercut the Grey Sheet prices. On the other hand, with foreign or less popular coins, I may be more likely to pay the market price or maybe higher due to a less liquid market, if I must really have a coin.

So, in addition to eBay, I factor in Apmex, which I consider a de facto coin exchange, given their volume of business. I also personally like the prices listed at Ngccoin.com. I find its website to have a decent, if not perfect, reading of the marketplace.

13. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

I am new and I use the PCGS site for comparing grades and prices. I only use it to guage coins, its not the bible. On their price guide section, they have prices for certain grades/coins that they certify. There is alot of blank grades for certain coins.
    Ex: the lowest grade coin for a 1936 is a xf40, and its priced at $1. Everything below that grade doesnt have a price. Does that mean:
    A) The coin isnt really worth anything below that grade.
    B) The coin has not been graded by them at that grade.
    C) All of the above

Sorry if this was explained before.

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

PCGS price guide is meant for only coins graded by PCGS, (even then the prices are quite high). Who in their right minds are going to spend all of that money on a coin worth $1? IDK if they have ever graded one that low, but any coin store will sell you one for a quarter.

15. Clutchy

Thanks, and again, I only use the prices to compare, mostly between years, so I can guage rarity from year to year.

16. Clutchy

If Im correct, a one year subscription gets you 3 coins graded. My guess is someone sent a error coin that wasnt, so they graded the coin as such. Only thing I can think of considering with the slab any coin will cost you $35 minimum and you're right, how would pay that.

17. Clutchy

Correction:

WHO would pay that.

18. bullionkid

bullionkid New Member

I really saved this useful information for future.

19. flathead62

flathead62 Member

Ialways try to get a good deal.
    But do not mind over paying a little. for a coin i really want.

20. MrDSmith

MrDSmith Senior Member

I use Heritage. What better price guide than what the coin you want or own is actually being bought and sold for? If you go on eBay, you see listings. Heritage's auction archives are results. Big difference.

That said, the CDN incorporates auction data into their newsletters, so, IMHO, both are good.

You don't need to pay to use HA.com though.

Steve972 likes this.
  21. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Awesome thread. Hope everyone reads this. Once again another thread with great information. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted