Price appreciation help

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimefreak, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

I would like to present a scenario to you all and receive some opinions. What I am trying to determine is what type of appreciation I should expect to pay on a coin.

The coin in question sold in 2004 at that time it was TOP POP with 7 graded at that grade.

Today it is still TOP POP but there is 12 graded at that grade.

Logic says the coin is going to cost more 6 years later which I have no issue with. With that said I feel that the 5 coins added to the pop report should have a depreciating effect on the price.I think a $500 dollar premium, so $3000 is about fair. Do you think the POP going up Depreciates the price?

thanks for your opinion

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Knowing the specific coin would be helpful in making a decision. Certain coins have increased in popularity over the last 6 years while others have been more consistent (maybe even dropped). Personally I would have no idea either way as I don't purchase coins in that price range, however I know the more information given, the more likely the information will be useful.

4. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

its a Mercury Dime and its not a key date

5. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I think you will most likely see value stagnation.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Dime,

How many were struck for that date/mm? How many have been graded in all grades? An increase from 7 to 12 for Top Pop may not have too much of a negative effect when you consider the total number graded and extant.

Chris

7. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

population above 70,000,000

MS60- 1
    MS63-52
    MS64-307
    MS65-691
    MS66-597
    MS67-166
    MS68-12

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

As a general rule pop-top moderns were bringing higher prices in '04 than they do today - even without an increase in population. Why ? Because I think people have wised up to a large degree and realized that they were paying unsustainable prices back then.

9. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

I think for that coin, the price will be influenced more by the current economy (and its impact on collector resources) than the pop rising by 5.

I don't collect your series, but that is my uninformed first reaction to your question.

Draft saved Draft deleted