Pretty Wheaties

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by DUSITN HADDOCK, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Found these in a roll I busted open at work, no coin was above the 65' mark, coin roller looked like it could have been that old too!!

I like the Coloration on the bottom right one last pic in the obverse of it in better light.

I have been putting the coins aside I want to keep in good condition in little zip-loc/ pill pouch bag.
    Does copper have any reaction over time to these types of plastics?

IMG_20170210_140255505_HDR.jpg IMG_20170210_140413865_HDR.jpg IMG_20170210_140836935_HDR.jpg

Gilbert, onecenter and calishield like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

not sure....im no expert, but it looks like there may be some damage

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Short, very short time storage in zip locks as they do have plastisizers that will affect the coins over time. Better off in 2X2's for longer term storage. Or tubes for a bit longer term storage but not permanently. Because they are common dates, air tites would be kind of pricey for these.

DUSITN HADDOCK likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not 100% sure, but I believe most seal-top bags are made of polyethylene or polypropylene and don't have to have any plasticizers...however they are not much of a barrier to air or other gases.

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Back into the coin roll, and in a safe with dessicant? The paper roll alone keeps them drier, and they are very cheap, easy to label.

7. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I plan to use a little plastic cabinet with the sliding drawers next time I roll hunt the kind for arts and crafts/nuts and bolts. You can get all different sizes, and they are easy to make labels for, masking tape. If the coins are circ, what's one or two more contact marks? Line the drawers with brown paper first.

8. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

Awesome find by the way. The coin roll kept them nice for 55 years, I'm certain it would do the job for 55 more.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

They will get some green crap on them, otherwise they will be OK. BTW, that's a lot of Wheaties in just one roll. When we were doing these we averaged around one in every six rolls.

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

No! Food bags do not have the problem that flips have.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Doesn't the mylar get you anywhere? I thought that was inert.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Okay, I need a science lesson, really, not being snarky at all. I thought that most plastics containers were pliable because they use softening agents/chemicals to keep them that way. Those chemicals do not leach over extended periods of time? I know I have seen some terrible looking coins coming out of those Canadian albums. Different chemical make up? At work, where we used many different types of plastics, I was not allowed to know the chemicals used due to the proprietary information involved. But we used Polypro, polyethylene , polystyrene and others but they all came in pelletized form before hitting the injection molding machines.

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Most plastics can be virtually any softness/brittleness. I used to make a plastic from styrene and butadiene. It was relatively soft, but just loved plasticizers in the wrong way. It you ever had Xerox copies stick together, that was it. Another styrene/butadiene plastic you have seen much of would be tires. Obviously they have vastly different characteristics from Xerox ink.

Most (all) food bags are polyethylene. It was made pliable enough not to require a plasticizer. Oh, and if you have ever had a colonoscopy, one of the more common preps consists of you drinking polyethylene. Believe me, it was a lot more "pliable" than food bags.

FWIW, the prime drivers are chain length and cross linking.

Gilbert and tommyc03 like this.
  14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Thanks. I have no idea if the following is true or not, but someone told me a long time ago, if you leave a McDonalds milk shake out over night and check it the next morning, you will find a little ball of gooey stuff coagulated together that is some form of plastic. (Sheesh, run on sentence ).

15. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Nice finds. And a good way to start collecting is the way you are doing it. Welcome to CT!

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I sincerely doubt it. It really is milk/milk products.

I will give you one that can/does happen. Don't ever fill your car with pure antifreeze. It will polymerize into some not so nice goo.

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

OK, Tommy, let's try this. Plastics used for plastic bags are made from the cheapest stuff they can get and this is polyethylene and polypropylene. These chemicals are inherently flexible and don't need any plasticizer added to make them flexible. An early plastic was polyvinylchloride, which made a hard, brittle plastic that was fine for irrigation tubing, but to use as lawn furniture webbing had to be flexibilized. The way to do this was to put into the mix a long molecule that would allow the polymer molecules to slide over each other...a plasticizer. PVC uses a lot of plasticizer because the plastic is so brittle. Polypropylene (Polypro) and polyethylene don't need any since there is little crosslinking and little attraction in the polymer strands. Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) doesn't need any and polystyrene doesn't use any (as far as I know) because the items made from it don't demand it.

To have a colonoscopy (brrrrrrrr) you actually drink polyethylene glycol (PEG), the same stuff you find in diet shakes. As far as I know, McDonald's milkshakes or pure antifreeze won't make any polymer balls.

DUSITN HADDOCK and tommyc03 like this.
  18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Even at room temperature, I have had pure antifreeze polymerize. At elevated temperatures, it absolutely does. We were using it as a media in a thermal well. After a couple batches totally lost control, we figured out the antifreeze was solid and a lousy heat transfer medium.

19. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Thank you very much, I appreciate a good lesson and will certainly retain it for the future. Tom

DUSITN HADDOCK and Kentucky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted