Pretty sure this is an Andronicus II hyperpyron die match, but question

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DiomedesofArgos, Oct 14, 2020.

1. DiomedesofArgos

DiomedesofArgos Well-Known Member

Looking at the two coins, I feel pretty much certain that they are die matches, but one thing irks me. The coin on the left has an extra dot that the one on the right does not have.

From what I have read, these hyperpyron coins were struck twice, once on the left and once on the right, so the two halves aren't always perfectly aligned. Looking at the emperor's halo and pendilia, they appear misaligned on the left coin. Does this explain the fifth dot? Is it just a second impression of the dot that should be the right dot in a diamond pattern of 4 dots? What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I've got the impression that it is indeed a die match, however, the coin on the right shows more die-wear than on the left, which explains the subtle differences.

DiomedesofArgos likes this.
  4. DiomedesofArgos

DiomedesofArgos Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Probably explains why the dots on the Bible that Jesus is holding are so much smaller than the one on the left too.

5. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Active Member

I think the die has been recut after the original right hand dot had been largely worn away (although it still still shows in the background).

Ross G.

DiomedesofArgos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted