Pretty sure it's a fake. But why would anyone bother?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by princeofwaldo, Oct 7, 2011.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Pretty sure this is a fake. The legends and the luster, and especially Abe's chin and cheek give this away as being a counterfeit. Question: Why would anyone bother??

IMG_3305.jpg IMG_3306.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

I don't think its fake. I think it has post mint damage. Would the value of it in that condition even be worth much if it were real?

4. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

How much is a 72s worth? I can tell you the cost of striking such a piece, even if made up of the correct composition, is probably less than a nickel.

Its well know Chinese cash are faked, and the common ones only sell for $.50 a piece.

If you can make and sell a few thousand of these or more, its very much worth it to some Chinese businesses to fake almost any US coin. I would be very shocked if they haven't faked items like the 1982 and 1983 quarters.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sure looks like a fake to me too. As to why they would bother, a better question is why would they not bother ? That's a perfect coin to fake. Your very question proves that. You see, it's the coins that everybody says - why would they bother - that no one will question as actually being fake.

6. medoraman

Thankfully they did such a poor job on Abe's bust or it would be more deceptive. The reverse, while not perfect after close observation, is good enough to pass a quick glance. I find at least 4 jarring problems with the bust, starting with the "Elvis hairdo".

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If they can fake a 1957-D circulated Lincoln, and they have, they will fake anything. However, I still cannot figure how they make any money on a circulated 57-D. It might be worth 3¢. I don't know how they could get the planchet for much less than that.

8. medoraman

What the weight and metal right on the 57d? If they are faking, why not fake the planchet too? I agree, though, that $.03 is getting extremely "close to the bone". Are you sure that might not have been faked years ago, and maybe in the US?

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Sold on eBay by one of the big "replica" dealers about a year ago. He had nearly(?) a complete set of Lincoln wheats. BTW, he was not selling it for 3¢. He wanted $2.00 if I remember correctly, but who is going to pay that much for a circulated 1957-D Lincoln?

10. faceglider

faceglider Member

Definitely looks fake. The 1972 S in MS65 condition goes for a nice premium according to 'Coin Prices' (which i know isn't the best guide out there). It lists it at $30.00. It has the lowest mintage of any circulated memorial from what I see. 380,200,104.

11. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Wow. Definitely a fake as the lettering is all wrong. I can only suppose that its made of an incorrect alloy. Maybe not even copper. Please provide a photograph of this piece next to an authentic Lincoln cent.

12. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Certainly a fake, but the level of detail is far better than on genuine examples.
    cent1.JPG cent2.JPG

13. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I could have created a side by side comparison photo. What I would like is a photo of the fake next to a real coin from the OP for some size relevence.

14. chridular

chridular Member

WOW! Looking at those reversed side-by-side really make all the mistakes stand out. The lettering, the spacing in the area of the stairs and the bushes, etc. It´s interesting... I read a forum post like this one and now I want to collect Lincolns... ;)

15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I pull them from circulation quite often for 1¢, but you can buy wholesale lots of wheats for around 2¢ each and then overstrike them ala Daniel Carr.

If you can make a 50% gross profit, then I think there's money to be made.

16. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

2 reasons... practice, and to put in a fake pcgs ms-68 slab. now it's not a 3¢ coin.

17. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Okay, you asked for it. The coins weight would seem to be slightly out of tolerance too. Would you believe I bought this at the gift shop of the Kansas City Federal Reserve Bank? Yup. Cost me $1.99 --doesn't this coin violate the hobby protection act by not having the word copy on it anywhere?? IMG_3307.jpg

18. chridular

chridular Member

Hahahaha! I would imagine the weight would be slightly off! Still gets me in the mood to start collecting Lincolns. Not enough in my collection.

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

No! It actually has to be an attempt to deceive. Anyone that would be deceived by that deserves what they get and this would be the least of their problems.

20. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I would like to see the coin in hand, but it sure looks like a counterfeit to me. The strike doesn't look right at all. At least it sure doesn't look like any of the 72 cents I have.

Who knows, perhaps the Shanghai mint scored a batch of cheap copper and had the dies already made ? Remember, it is NOT illegal to reproduce US coins in China. It is only illegal to pass them as genuine here in the US. And they ship small packages for free or very little cost, as I have had items shipped from China with postage of free or 5c HK. There is a possibility of profit from minting and selling these coins, so they would surely do that. IMHO

gary

21. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

Yes, I have a coaster like that, same size as the Kennedy half dollar.

Draft saved Draft deleted