Pretty crappy being broke....

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Mar 5, 2018.

1. alde

alde Always Learning

Heck, that's only like 2 butterflies.o_O

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a really odd problem that you encountered - I've only had the opposite happen in a Gorny auction (ie., clicking bid while not actually wanting to!). Seriously, though, sorry you missed out on that lot. Without knowing what it was that made it extra special, its hammer price gave me hope for the lot I was gunning for, which followed right after yours and had the same estimate. I was unfortunately blown away by two increments. It was an Ephesos mint Titus with a reverse that really called out to me, but alas it wasn't meant to be.

4. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

My cash flow rarely matches the auction schedule. If it were not for plastic, I would own less metal. I sometimes need to float for a few months. I build any anticipated interest charges into my max bid. Looking at last year, I think it added 2% to my overall spend.

Of course, even with Credit Cards, one must show restraint. That can be a challenge at times.

5. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I am a firm believer that one should never buy PMs or coins with money you don't have. I would skip one buying cycle and then use that money for the next cycle while you are saving for the one after that.

6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

That Ephesian Titus is rare, but not exceedingly so. The type comes up for auction once or twice a year. As a matter of fact, I have two examples, one possessing a unique error. Partly what drives up the prices for these Flavian Ephesian pieces is the superb style they were engraved in. It's really hard to beat!

Be patient, another example will come up for auction sooner than you think.

ominus1, panzerman and zumbly like this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yes, I remembered your examples! They're both wonderful, and as you say, the Ephesian style is exquisite. I'll be looking out for the next ones that come up, but the style and composition of the reverse of that one really captivated me, and I have a sneaking suspicion I'll eventually be kicking myself for not trying a little harder.

ominus1 and David Atherton like this.
  8. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Yes, I did it that way for years. There was no point to it.

This way has worked out much better.

TypeCoin971793 and Paul M. like this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I would agree on that, if you where going into debt to afford a trip/ fancy clothes you do not really need (women tend to do this a lot) eating out too much....
    Coins though are great investments, so to go into debt lets say 9000 euros for that FDC Trajan Decius Aureus may pay off in end.

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

There will be plenty more such opportunities. No one can predict the future and while it may be highly probable that the money to pay of the credit card bill will be there no one can guarantee it. Life happens.

I have no objection to using a credit card to pay for an item (all online purchases require it) as long as the money is already in my bank account. After all, I do get the cash back and the miniscule interest. But I would never carry a balance. Especially for something which is not essential. To me it is the same as purchasing stocks on margin, something I would never consider.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I don't collect ancients (but I admire those that do and put forth the time and effort to learn), but I have lost out on items that I desperately wanted, only to have something else pop up a bit later I would not have had the money for if I had gotten my first love. It works out. Maybe not for the best, but it works out satisfactorily.

ominus1 and sakata like this.
  12. coinsareus10

coinsareus10 Well-Known Member

One must kiss a few frogs before you get the princess.

ominus1 likes this.
  13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i have made "mad" purchases after losing out on a coin by buying one or two to get even with idk who....

panzerman likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Your the pot at the end of the rainbow. Great analogy

panzerman likes this.
  15. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

That auction has some interesting pieces.
    P-Man, I watched part of the auction also, but the start was wayyyyyyyyyyyy to early for me, 3AM. I got on line later and watched a while. I bought one that I will post when it arrives. I did get up early enough to watch a Time Line auction last week. It started at 4AM. I was on time, but had to watch for a few hours before the lot I wanted was up for bid. I did not know Cleo bid on scale weights. I bid till I turned blue (3X estimate) and finally stopped bidding.

ominus1, zumbly, panzerman and 2 others like this.
  16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I placed some proxy bids, I scored one out of four placed. I lost most by only 50 euros. I ended up winning a perfect FDC Hyderabad AV 1/8 Ashrafi AH1318=1900 Nizam Mir Mahbub Ali Khan II/ this ex. was better then the one in Baldwins, David Fore Collection Indian Coins Part III:) So, ended up with two new additions for under 850 euros.

rrdenarius likes this.
  17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Me and you have a totally different definition of "broke" @panzerman !!! By 2 orders of magnitude!! LOL!!!! ;) :woot:

I seriously have 20 bucks in my coin budget right now!!!

panzerman, lordmarcovan, alde and 4 others like this.
  18. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i'm hear ya.. to me it was so absurd it was hilarious..:hilarious:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Eduard, lordmarcovan, alde and 4 others like this.
  19. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

:p

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Oooh! The left-facing portrait variety. Sorry you missed out on it. I only have the right-facing portrait variety (like everyone else):

Titus COS V Eagle denarius.jpg
    Titus as Caesar, AD 69-79.
    Roman AR Denarius, 3.27 g, 18.5 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 76.
    Obv: T CAESAR IMP VESPASIAN, laureate head right.
    Rev: COS V, Eagle standing front on garlanded altar, thunderbolt in claws, wings open, head left.
    Refs: RIC.191a; RIC2.861; BMCRE 191; CBN 166; RSC.59a; RCV 2438.

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  21. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Concerning auctions that I bid in, I usually place a prebid for the most I will spend. I feel that if I am out bid, well the coin just wasn't meant to be...with me that is. :) I got a Caligula ADLOCVT sestertius from Baldwins of St. James. I really really wanted that coin and knew if I bid live I would over bid if I had to. So after the auction ended, I checked out the bids with one eye closed and if I could have done cartwheels I would have.

rrdenarius and Roman Collector like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted