Pretty cool - Mexico 1927/6 1 Centavo

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Sep 24, 2015.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

For the past few years, I've been hoarding 1927-dated coins, mostly because my grandmother was born that year and she got me started on coin collecting. Anyway, I had a pile of recent purchases (mostly world coins) sitting on my desk, and something in my brain said, "Make sure you check out that Mexican 1 Centavo, there was something funny about the date."

Mexico - 1927 1 Centavo - Date.jpg

Sure enough, it's the 7/6 overdate. Pretty clear, too. Not as valuable as the 1924/3, but I already OWN this one...lol

Here's a shot of the whole coin (a nice high AU, IMO):

Mexico - 1927 1 Centavo.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Even with photos of the entire coin it stands out. The close up seals it. Great find. :)

4. RomanTheRussian

RomanTheRussian Well-Known Member

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Time most of run out for the grinder person and they said punch that 7 in now ...

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Cool coin, and a nice clear overdate!

7. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

That's the best defined 27/6 1c I've seen! Most examples look more like mine, where you only see the 6 below the top stroke of the 7. Either there are two dies for the 27/6, or yours is an early die state.

[​IMG]

stldanceartist likes this.
  8. KurtS

Your coin got me wondering if this is a second 1927/6 overdate die? So I did an overlay of your coin with mine, fading between the two to compare positions of the digits. Apparently, it looks like the 7 was punched lower on your coin, which would suggest yours is a different die. Again--very cool! :D I have not seen this before...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  9. stldanceartist

Interesting, although at first I didn't see much difference in the placements. Had to watch it a couple times to get the correct effect.

10. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Two different dies for sure, you can also see a difference in the position of the numerals in relation to the dentils.

KurtS likes this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Without a question, these come from 2 different dies. I was going to suggest the very same thing, as soon as I saw Kurt's first post... and then I saw he already proved it.

12. KurtS

Good spot! :D Absolutely--it's very dramatic under the 7. I'm going to guess the OP's coin is a scarcer overdate--it's the first example I've seen.

13. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

It certainly is. If I saw your coin without the comparison I would doubt whether it's an overdate or just "fuzz". With the comparison the position is spot on, leaving no doubt.

KurtS likes this.
  14. KurtS

You're right--even if well-documented, it's the weaker of these two 27/6. I would much prefer having the OP's coin. :D

15. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

I also have one of these, but prefer the OP's to mein.

16. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

That's a great fine...I am of course jelly. :smuggrin:

17. stldanceartist

Well, I got bored last week, so I looked through my "hoard" of 1927-dated coins.

Included were a few more 1927 Mexican 1 Centavos...

...so, this is the part where you guys really hate me:

Mexico - 1927 1 Centavo 2.jpg

Mexico - 1927 1 Centavo 2 - Date.jpg

jester3681 likes this.
  18. laurentyvan

laurentyvan Active Member

Will lightning strike thrice?

19. stldanceartist

Well I certainly hope so - I think the odds are good, considering I know they're out there now and I'll be looking for more.

20. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Benjamin, what's the price/value difference between a normal 1927 and a 1927/6?

21. stldanceartist

Using NGC's World Coin Price Guide, here is their input:

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 12.34.58 PM.png

Not enough to retire, but still worth looking for, IMO, especially in higher grades.

jester3681 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted