Pretty cool flea market find...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by RiotGrrrrl, Jun 14, 2005.

1. RiotGrrrrl

RiotGrrrrl New Member

Got these four coins at the flea market (oh how I love the flea market! :D) for what is now looking like a pretty good price.

I have the first three identified for the most part, but no one I have talked to seems to have any idea about the fourth one.

I'm looking at selling them, and have someone interested, but I'd like to know more about them, and maybe I'll repost this in the "what's it worth" forum after this, unless someone has a shot at it now.

Any ideas? Thanks... Riot. :)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sorry I can't offer any help on identifying or value for these - just not an area I am familiar with.

But please don't make the same post again in another section - it would be considered a duplicate post and likely deleted. But I'll be happy to move it to What's it Worth for you if you like. In all probability though - you stand a better chance of getting answers here.

4. RiotGrrrrl

RiotGrrrrl New Member

Thanks G. I figured I could probably find out what I needed to know here, but I didn't know whether asking "whats it worth" in a different forum would be kosher. I'm still new here... not 100% sure of the protocol yet ;)

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No problem ;) Sometimes there just isn't one particular section that a post belongs in more than another. And there's certainly no harm in asking more than one question - like what is it and what's it worth in the same post. It is actually preferred over making duplicates.

6. pab

pab New Member

I assume the coin you are unsure about is the bottm one in the picture (the top 3 being Byzantine). It is a Roman copper radiate coin of around 270AD possibly of the Gallic Empire depending on original find spot. It could be a come from further East in the empire if it was found with the Byzantine coins. From the slightly crude look it could well be a good contempory copy (sometimes called 'barbarous radiates' that were made in large quantities in Britain and Gaul at the time to make up for lack of official coinage). In either case it is a good find but not rare - these coins can still be bought for $1 -$5 in UK (and found for much less if you have a detector as these coins are the most common ancient find.) Hope this is of some use.

Regards,

P.

7. pab

pab New Member

I have had another look at the picture and feel more certain that it is a Gallic Empire radiate copy ('barbarous radiate') of a coin of Tetricvs II and is likely to have been originally forund in UK (or France) and is very common.

Regards,

P.

8. RiotGrrrrl

RiotGrrrrl New Member

Thank you :) That does help :)

Draft saved Draft deleted