Pretty coins.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by skully53, Jan 22, 2021.

1. skully53

skully53 #FJB

Looking through the inherited hoard and I notice that many different countries sure do mint beautiful coins. I know that currency minted in all countries is meant to reflect pride, history and patriotism. But, it sure seems that some countries have gone above and beyond with detail and just flat out beauty. I have been in 8 different countries and 3 Continents (The US is in the count obviously) and the common currency in all at the time were pretty mundane. I didn't see anything special about the Franc's or the Solis. Europe wasn't the EU when I was there. But, seeing coins from all over the world that are decades old sure does open my eyes. Singapore has some fancy coins, for example.

I do wonder how much money was spent by various countries to have so many different coins depicting things like the Olympics, World Cup or even just fisheries? How much money did some of these less than booming economies waste on special coins? Were they trying to make them rare to boost value? Collectible?

Rabbit hole getting deeper...

spirityoda, expat and tibor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

To a lot of small countries, special and commemorative coins were a good source of income, as they sold to collectors for many times more than the cost of minting. And for countries without their own mint, other countries minted their coins for them or they got a good deal from independent mints such as the franklin mint. And I agree, there is some outstanding engravers artwork on a lot of world coin pieces

Randy Abercrombie and skully53 like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would like to see pics of your favorites...

skully53 and expat like this.
  5. expat

6. skully53

skully53 #FJB

Good mention on minting from outside the country. I have a Jamaican minted by the Franklin Mint in an unc proof. Columbus.

expat likes this.
  7. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Most members here will agree with that, and most will have their favorites. What are some of yours among the inherited hoard?

skully53 likes this.
  8. expat

Dialupsux, Mkm5 and skully53 like this.
  9. skully53

skully53 #FJB

I will try to get pics up when I can. For some reason I am fascinated with the shiny ones with tons of detail. Tonga for example. To me, these coins represent some lesser counties that don't have a big play in the world economy but are loud and proud.

spirityoda likes this.
  10. skully53

skully53 #FJB

11. skully53

skully53 #FJB

Great question, Maxfli! I mentioned the Singapore and Tonga ones. Empire of Iran comes to mind. Isle of Man.

Wait, I see what you are doing. Getting my mind into the coin world of which I am trying to escape before I go into the world's deepest rabbit hole labyrinth...

Play nice. But, I see the shiny fancy things in my sleep. LOL :wideyed:

12. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

In many cases, coins from Caribbean and South Pacific island nations are disproportionately interesting relative to the nations' standing on the world stage. In this hobby, pleasant surprises sometimes come from the most unexpected places.

skully53 likes this.
  13. skully53

skully53 #FJB

Stop it. I don't even want to delve into that world. I have a life. I have a family. I work, yet my kitchen table is abreast with coins from all over. Please help me get out of this. Not just you, but everyone. Forget me, do it for the children. Please. Seriously. I am not kidding. Jeebus!

Martha Lynn likes this.
  14. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

It's quite possible you've caught the coin bug. And there is no known cure.

spirityoda likes this.
  15. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

16. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I have to think a lot of those countries with less than booming economies make a nice profit selling their pretty coins to collectors. It is amazing how many issuing countries issue more coinage than there local banks and merchants need or could even find space for.

Draft saved Draft deleted