Presidential perks,?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 2x2 $averKrazy, Jan 20, 2021.

1. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

That's a horrible likeness of Nolan Ryan's face if ya ask me.

Last time I saw him pitch was in Angel stadium - as a Ranger - Sept. 17, 1993. It was his first time back in Angel Stadium since he was an Angel. I sat 2 or three rows behind home plate for a few innings. He pitched about 7 innings, gave up a few hits and no earned runs. I swear to god his fast ball rises.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Let's compare:

The coin:
    Capture6765.PNG

the card:
    Capture5465.PNG

COMBATANTS, TAKE YOUR POSITIONS!

LOL:hilarious:

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

From CoinWorld
    "The 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, Spain, saw the introduction of baseball as a competitive sport. The U.S. Mint held an open design competition for the copper-nickel clad half dollar, silver dollar and gold $5 half eagle that would be issued in celebration of the Winter Olympic Games in Albertville, France, and the Summer Olympic Games. Artist John R. Deecken’s depiction of a baseball pitcher in his windup pose won. Collectors soon noticed a strong similarity between the coin’s design and an image of Nolan Ryan on a 1991 Fleer baseball card (No. 302).

Deecken said the final result was a composite of a number of baseball stars, including Ryan. He told Coin World in 1992, “It wasn’t intended to be him,” adding, “I looked at a number of pitchers, including Ryan, Whitey Ford and other people and arrived at what you see on the coin.”

At the time U.S. Mint officials and a spokesman for Fleer Corp. said that the similarities between the card and the coin design were just a coincidence. The Fleer spokesman said: “It wouldn’t be beyond the imagination especially if you’re concentrating on a particular pitcher. He’s going to repeat positions.” The spokesman further explained that the company reviews thousands of sports photos for possible use on their cards, and that strong similarities of a particular pose are bound to be repeated.

In a Letter to the Editor in the May 18, 1992, Coin World, Orlando, Fla., artist Edward A. Pasquella praised Deecken’s design. He wrote that the face differed in the coin image and on the card, adding: “In an effort to capture this perfect form why not use the perfect pitcher like Mr. Ryan? We should realize how difficult it would be to utilize multiple parts of the body from various sources. The end result could be a slightly distorted figure.” In concluding the letter he wrote, “If I were Mr. Ryan, I would be proud to know that a talented sculptor selected my form for our new Olympic dollar.” "

Oldhoopster and Inspector43 like this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Hahaha that is one of the biggest piles of steaming you know what I’ve ever seen of an excuse for an exact copy of someone. There is absolutely no composite mechanics there

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The six people that have had their image appear on US coins while living are
    Alabama Governor T. E. Kirby
    President Calvin Coolidge
    Senator Joseph T. Robinson of Arkansas
    Senator Carter Glass of Virginia
    Eunice Kennedy Shriver sister of President John F. Kennedy
    Nancy Reagan First Spouse

Robinson and Glass are kind of unique because they actually got to vote on the legislation that put their images on the coins.

7. baseball21

Hall of famer Nolan Ryan

8. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

im not sure if the mint would just send the president rolls of coins as a "Perk" for being the president. now that i think about it, ide bet he does :)

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

For the six I named the person shown on the coin was intended to BE that person, not a symbolic or allegorical representation. The image on the Olympic dollar was not intended to BE Nolan Ryan. (Did Nolan Ryan pitch on the 1992 Olympic team? No? Then it's not intended to be him.) He was quite possibly used as the model, but if we do that we also have to include the models for all the other coins that were issued while the models were still living. The draped bust coins, the Saint-Gaudens eagle and double eagle, the Morgan dollar, the Peace dollar, the Sac dollar, the standing Liberty quarter, and probably others.

Robidoux Pass and Inspector43 like this.
  10. baseball21

There's no maybe about it, it is absolutely him whether it was intended to be or not. The mint certainly didn't intend it to be him but the artist certainly copied him and for all we know he was the favorite player of the artist and he secretly did intend it to be him

His mechanics are and identical match, arm position, arm action, how he holds the glove, the stride, the stirrups and pant length, the mound, the cleats, literally everything that is unique to individual players is identical. There's a better chance of someone wining the next 20 power-balls in a row than there is that an artist identically matched that card by drawing a random pitcher. If they didn't trace over that picture they were staring right at it

It just can't happen randomly and despite the cover up statement mechanics are unique to each pitcher. The only thing they really changed was they changed his circle change to a palm ball grip which probably had a lot with making the drawing and engraving easier

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  11. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

Different hats, and he,s biting his lip on the card, looks like different image to me!

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  12. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

:hilarious::hilarious: You guys will fight over anything .

BJBII, 2x2 $averKrazy and micbraun like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted