Presidential Medals

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not sure when the US Mint started this program but they are still doing it. I bought this from a friend a number of years ago for under $4.00 a medal. I added the last 5 of them and stopped with Bill Clinton. I have 10 more holes to fill but it’s not going to happen.

I paid $6.00 each from the Mint but they raised the price to $20.00 each. I feel the price is just to high and not worth it. It’s only 1 ounce of copper so I’m done with them.

Here’s the album with the first 41 President’s and The White House. Each president has their name and the years they served as President.
    8E8FE27F-BA5F-416D-BC7C-C51845DDEE14.jpeg 0038527A-4C66-463B-959F-B33D2D836625.jpeg 20EFB09A-7734-40C9-9785-588F1273161F.jpeg 1BD08F9C-8238-45F7-BDC2-B58FF7FA32B6.jpeg E33723EA-9E2D-43A3-AD95-4A5AA8D391C2.jpeg 446C144B-4339-4E9A-B21D-5B413EF20994.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Martin Van Buren looks like he is toning nicely.
    I don't think I'd be able to leave the set unfinished. My OCD would kill me!

dwhiz and Collecting Nut like this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The mint is still selling medals for this album. Now they are doing a medal for each term a president served, which they didn't used to do. That means that there are two George W. Bush medals and two Obama medals.

5. Collecting Nut

A number of them are toning and it’s a pleasing toned coloring. Woodrow Wilson has three carbon spots. Martin Van Buren is probably the nicest of the ones that are toning.

6. Collecting Nut

Yes and at $20.00 each the mint can keep them. It’s all about how much money the mint can make.

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. johnmilton

The $20 price is ridiculous. I don’t know if they are still selling older ones, but if they are, a number need to be refurbished. The dies are lacking a lot of detail. In the old days, they were priced at $1, so it didn’t matter.

They were once marketed to young collectors, but that price, they can only be marketed to old collectors with more money than brains. You are better of collecting the presidential dollar series.

8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

They are doing them in silver now. $65 each.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, that's the series I'm currently into...........quite nice they are, actually. :)

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. johnmilton

Those appear to be from re-worked dies that yield decent strikes. They are not the same as the medals in the album shown above. Those designs were from presidential and Indian peace medals.

11. Collecting Nut

Yes it is and I refuse to pay it. Maybe I run into them at a reasonable price in the future somewhere but not sure if I’ll buy them or not if I do.

12. johnmilton

I had infinite patience and could put up with all the guff you get in auctions, I would collect the 19th century "mahogany finish" medals, which are the source for these small metals.

Here is an example.

Small medal in the album for Benjamin Harrison.

Sm Ben Harrison All.jpg

Full sized version with mahogany finish.

Ben Harrison All.jpg

green18 and ZoidMeister like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted