Presidential Dollars - Different Reverse for 2015 P?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dchjr, May 20, 2017.

1. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

So.... noticed a difference on the 2015 P reverses compared to other years and mints. The bottom of the gown on these are rounded and have space between the material and the edge. The other ones are mostly flat on the bottoms and go to the edge. I found this on the LBJ, JFK, and Truman. The 2016 coins go back and have the same flat bottom. Did they change the reverse for 2015 P? I was thinking die wear, but for all three to have the same thing is unlikely.

2015 P's
    2015 P Gown (2) ARrow.jpg 2015 P Gown (3).jpg 2015 P Gown.jpg

2015 D's
    2015 D Gown (2) Arrow.jpg 2015 D Gown.jpg

2012 D
    2012 D Gown.jpg

2011 D
    2011 D Gown.jpg

2016 P
    2016 P Gown (2).jpg 2016 P Gown (3).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Is it unlikly that the reverse dies from the previous year would be used?
    Would the mint discard useable dies and start the next pressing run with new ones?

4. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I look at the this way. If the dies are still useful and they had dies left over after the allotted run. Cut-Coned-and-Polished-Die-Blanks-at-Philadelphia-Mint-510x340.jpg
    Why not save some money and use them for the following year. It is far less dies they have to make to make up for the shortage.
    This way the mint makes more money both ways, when those dies where out. They grind them down and sell the die and make money doing that. Financially it is a win-win for the mint.That's only this old Marines opinion. And I've also learned what makes sense does not always happen. USMC60 PS That's a but loaded dies. We have a member that would know most likely if they would have dies left over. I'll see what he's up to and if I get Him to respond.

dchjr likes this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I suspect what you are seeing the result of die polishing. As the field is ground down the devices become shallower, smaller, more distant from other features and the rim. And as the relief decreases the contours can also change.

6. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Interesting theory. Thought about it a while, then I said I think I know how to find out if that's a true statement.
    There is a filter I like using in my camera software that basically looks like it brings out the pores on the coin. Take a look for yourself.
    Do not see any signs of buffing or polishing her whatever just a good old strike.
    :rolleyes::blackalien: 2015 P Gown (3) ARrow.jpg 2015 D Gown (3) Arrow-2.jpg Windows 10 Zeke filter. Like I said it looks like it brings out the pores on the coin.

dchjr likes this.
  7. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Wow, that's pretty good. I like the filter.

8. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

These photos here are Zeke filtered except for the first one which is to show you the difference.
    The red arrows indicate shiny wear circulation spots. And the green arrows indicate basic circulation hits and the red circle indicates a slight bit of doubling. ct5-22-10.jpg ct5-22-9 (2)-1-2.jpg
    I just think it's a fun filter to use sometimes. A member accuse me of making things up, I have to admit he's right. When it comes to this filter I look at it as a kind of an x-ray filter. For the surface of the coin.
    I guess you could say it's a surface x-ray. Until somebody comes up with something better. USMC60

dchjr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted