Presidential Dollar with no edge inscription.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Geoff Wall-Davis, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Hello Coin Talk members.
    I have in my possession a John Quincy Adams presidential Dollar which has no edge inscription. I have done a bit of research on my coin but have found that the only other Presidential Dollars which have no edge inscription are the ones which were minted with the effigy of George Washington and john Adams.
    Can anyone out there give me any information on this Dollar.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello Geoff - Can you provide a picture? Some people have buffed down the rims so it really needs to be seen (I'm not saying that's what you did)
    There were quite a few of the Washington and John Adams from the first year issues that had the missing lettering, but any from the second year are much scarcer.

4. Here is a running list of Presidential dollars with missing edge lettering that I found on a coin blog:

2007 Washington Missing Edge Letter Dollar $100 in MS-66
    2007 Jefferson Missing Edge Letter Dollar $150 in MS-66
    2007 Adams Missing Edge Letter Dollar $100 in MS-66
    2008 Vanburen Missing Edge Letter Dollar $200 in MS-66
    2008 Jackson Missing Edge Letter Dollar $200 in MS-66
    2008 Q. Adams Missing Edge Letter SF Dollar $250 in MS-66
    2009 Taylor Missing Edge Letter Dollar $200 in MS-66
    2010 Fillmore Missing Edge Letter Dollar $300 in MS-66
    2010 Pierce Missing Edge Letter Dollar $300 in MS-66
    2010 Buchanan Missing Edge Letter Dollar $300 in MS-66

Not sure where they got the values (ebay, Red Book, etc.), so keep that in mind.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@TopcatCoin

Well, I guess I did pretty good, TC! My Washington Prez Missing Partial Edge Lettering, NGC MS64, sold a couple years ago on eBay for $228.

Chris

6. Yes, you did very well regardless of where these values came from!

7. WP_20150705_003.jpg WP_20150705_002.jpg WP_20150705_002.jpg WP_20150705_002.jpg WP_20150705_002.jpg

Attached Files:

8. TX15FX4

TX15FX4 Active Member

Are you able to focus the camera on the coin? Otherwise it's hard to tell.

9. cpm9ball

Yes, the photos are poor, but the first photo of the edge makes me think the coin has been doctored.....PMD.

Chris

Kentucky and Rassi like this.
  10. IMG_0645.JPG
    ..I hope that these images are a little clearer. I have looked at the edge with a very high powered magnifying glass and compared it with other Presidential Dollars which have inscriptions. I am totally convinced the edge of the coin has not been tampered with and that I have an error coin.

Attached Files:

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What is the diameter and weight of the coin in question? Anything less than 8.1 grams and 26.5 mm is suspect to a bit of doctoring........

12. Thanks for the advice. As I'm a quality control worker for a major automobile manufacturer and have access to precision measuring equipment I will check this out.

13. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Question ? Would any of these missing edge stampings have a faint trace or be completly blank ?

14. My Presidential Dollar does not have any trace of the missing edge stampings, and is completely blank.

15. I would very much like to thank all the Coin talk members who have responded to my request for information regarding my John Quincy Adams Presidential Dollar which has no edge inscription. Although I intend to have the weight and dimensions checked out, I now firmly believe that I have a genuine error coin.

16. cpm9ball

The edge photo is still not clear, but the photo of the obverse makes me think that the damage is post-mint. Even if this coin was missing edge lettering, the condition of the obverse is so bad that it's not going to be worth much.

Chris

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You very well might have, but to increase it's value and validity, you should have it graded by a recognized authority.

18. cpm9ball

I don't think it's worth having graded. The condition is too poor, and I still think it has been doctored.

Chris

19. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I agree with some of the other responses. The pics aren't great, but if you are confident this coin has not been altered, then submit it to NGC for encapsulation and grading.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. I'm confident that the coin has not been altered because I've compared it's edge with my other Presidential Dollars.

21. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

Then submit it! One of the other posters put something showing it may have a pretty significant value, but its value is assured if you have a reputable certification. I prefer NGC out of the two most respected grading companies because I'm an ANA member and have NGC submission privileges as a result. PCGS is, of course, just as good as NGC, but I would have to pay to get submission authorities. Your mileage may vary. If you're not an ANA member, you may have to pay a dealer to submit coins for you, which may be cost prohibitive.

If you are not an ANA member, I highly suggest you join. I think the annual dues are $28 if you get the magazine digitally (more if you want paper), but the membership allows you to submit coins directly to NGC. That alone is worth it in my book! Plus it's not a bad organziation, either.

Of course, I'm lucky. I live within commuting distance of Colorado Springs, so I can go visit the ANA's money museum and use their library any time I want.

Draft saved Draft deleted