Presidential Dollar Designs - Ronald Reagan proposals unveiled

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Rassi, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

I, like many others, thought that Reagan might be ineligible due to Carter still being alive. Apparently this has finally been resolved and Reagan will have a coin issued in 2016.

See link for the design candidates.

http://mintnewsblog.com/2015/03/ronald-reagan-presidential-dollar-design-candidates/

I like the front view of 01 and 03, but think the mouth is a bit off. The mouth in 02 is as I remember him, but I would prefer the front view.

medjoy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I agree that 1 or maybe 3 are the top choices. Artist was obviously not a fan of trickle down Economics...lol.

Paddy54 and JPeace$ like this.
  4. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I like #1 or #3 best.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I like #3 as the best depiction of Ron, but knowing the blind beggars on the committee, they will probably pick #5.

Chris

7. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

I'm a traditionalist with my coins - I like the side profile of #4. Still wish they hadn't caved to the religious nuts and left "In God We Trust" on the rim. Clutters up the obverse of the coin where it is now.

bugo likes this.
  8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

None of the above.

bugo and Irish2Ice like this.
  9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I call foul...lol. You have to choose....

10. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I like #03 the best. It will be funny and kind of sad if they make an Obama coin.

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

He has to die first. Same with Carter, the Bushes and Clinton. I thought they were going to discontinue the series and Gerald Ford would be the last, but it looks like Ronnie will be getting his own coin.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Every President has a medal issued in his honor. Why do we keep putting dead Presidents on our coinage when there are so many other possibilities available? Then there is the overlap on our currency, Lincoln, Washington, etc, is it really necessary? And what about a possible Vice President series, say on the half dollar?

jlogan likes this.
  13. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

It serves to further the fantasy that these corporate shills are somehow worthy of our respect.

Irish2Ice and tommyc03 like this.
  14. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Yeah...replace the corporate shills with corporate CEO's!!! Koch, Buffett, Gates, ...

15. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What, no Bedtime for Bonzo? :)

Paddy54 likes this.
  17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And no Billy Beer either!:hungry:

18. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Apparently the Mint Astrologers have okayed the coins.

[​IMG]

:)

19. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I like #7.

And until about a month ago he wasn't considered for a coin. Ever since the program began it had always been shown to be ending first with Nixon and then with Ford after he died. Even through the end of Jan it still showed the program ending with Ford. Then all of a sudden they changed their interpretation of the law and added in Reagan.

21. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Dumb Question since I cannot find it.

Is there actually a "law" that states no living persons image can appear on a US Coin?

After all, The Special Olympics Commemorative coin of 1995 did have the portrait of Eunice Kennedy Shriver (7/10/1921 - 8/21/2009) on the Obverse.

What about the 1992 Olympics Commemorative with Nolan Ryan on the Obverse? Although the image is not credited as Ryan, it is an undisputable copy of his baseball card image.

Then there's the Arkansas Centennial Commemorative coin of 1936 which featured the portrait of Senator Joseph T Robinson (8/26/1872 - 7/14/1937).

It's not like a precedent has not been sent AND the Presidential Dollar coins are intended to honor the Presidents of this Country.

I see absolutely no reason why Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama should not be included. I mean, its not like these are going to be used by the general public since they are minted to demand by collectors and not by order of the Federal Reserve Bank.

Maybe a movement should be started to eliminate all the speculation?

Draft saved Draft deleted