Presidential commemorative coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Beardigger, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Friend of mine called all excited that he had gotten limited edition presidential dollars in the mail, and asked me if I’d take a look and tell him what they were worth. Not having heard of such a thing. I told him I would take a look and see what I could find out for him. Below is what he got.
    It is made for the RNC by Coins of America.com.
    He was thinking they were REAL presidential coins, because in the fund raising letter that came with it they were called Dollar Coins. Had to let him down easy. But I told him to hang onto them, because in this crazy world they just might become worth something someday.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

They made these for all the Presidents, usually 2 coins per story card and included the living Presidents as well. I think it's an effort to copy the U.S. Mint's Presidential Dollars.

Beardigger likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

:vomit:
    Pretty sure The Reagan National Library told the RNC and the Trump campaign stop using Reagan's likeness in their campaign materials. Looks like they didn't listen...
    That's all I will say about that.

Beardigger likes this.
  5. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Screenshot_20200810-225410.jpg At one point i was considering getting the Jimmy Carter one because there's an empty space in my Presidential Dollars case, between Ford and Reagan. But I think the diameter is different so I decided to pass on it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Beardigger likes this.
  6. Beardigger

7. Beardigger

I haven't seen the letter that came with it but he said it called them "DOLLAR COINS" If so.......that's kind of deceiving. Who knows.....they might just become worth something. Even so I don't want a pair for my collection! :muted::muted:

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

That gets kinda in that grey area if they call them "dollar coins" no? I think that's what got NORFED in trouble. I guess they had "1 dollar" actually on the coin though. I don't see that on this "coin".

spirityoda likes this.
  9. Beardigger

The packaging they are in does not say Dollar Coin......I'll ask my buddy about the letter again. I told him to keep it all together. I have been reading articles on this since posting. Looks like there were 5000 sets made. Sold through eMail ads. The RNC may have gotten around the sales prohibition by sending them out for free with a donation request.

10. furryfrog02

Shady

11. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

If they keep saying they are Dollar coins, maybe they will become dollars.

Draft saved Draft deleted