Presidential Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Charlie Cliques, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Charlie Cliques

Charlie Cliques Active Member

After reading this article on NGC

(www.ngccoin.com/news/article/459/)

I'm wondering is there an added premium for Presidential coins that have edge lettering that isn't centered and/or doesn't align with the position it should be on the coin?

Here's an example to clarify...

A 2007 P George Washington Presidential Coin

When comparing the photos from the NGC link above of an "exploded view" of Obverse & reverse edge lettering position...
    20190628_234153.png 20190628_234219.png

...this coins edge lettering does not match up...

20190628_235225.jpg

red line is at about the T in President on obverse

20190628_235023.jpg 20190628_235112.jpg

& heres a view of the date/mint mark on edge that does not look centered...

20190628_211403.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

No premium, they don't line up perfectly, you edge is also well worn. I looked at several of mine out of sets, even without wear they don't line up perfect. no premium for that. It says rite in that article you said you just read " By design, the coins enter the machine randomly so the placement of the lettering on the edge as well as the orientation to the obverse and reverse is entirely random. These variations therefore are not errors"

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  4. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

wasn't thier something about the order of the lettering or the word order or some such thing on these?

Charlie Cliques likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Are you thinking of the "A" & "B" lettering positions? Some joker came up with that (lame) idea because the edge lettering could be aligned to read upright with the obverse or the reverse. The problem with that is because the edge lettering isn't added until after the coin leaves the coining chamber. So, it is completely random which side is up.

The only premium I know of relating to the edge lettering is when it is missing in its entirety or partially. I had one of the Washington Prez dollars missing partial edge lettering that I submitted to NGC. Once it was authenticated, I sold it for $228 on eBay with a 99c opening bid and no reserve.

Chris

6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@Charlie Cliques, those 1st 2 pics are terrific! How did you do that to show the edges?

7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking this out so thoroughly, @Autoturf and, thus, saving me the time to dig my collection out of the bottom of a strongbox again. I was just in there in the past several days looking for some of my Peace dollars, and didn't realize I had so many of these presidential dollars—probably close to 400 of them by my estimation.

I tried pawning some of these off onto wait staff in restaurants, but they looked at me as if I were trying to sneak some sort of viral infection into their lives, and just let them sitting there.

Since you appear to be some sort of coffee aficionado, you need to take a look at the El Salvador roast here; sorry, but the sale price on it ended the other day. Good stuff, this, I picked up six pounds just before the sale ended.

https://www.orleanscoffee.com/product/el-salvador-finca-san-joaquin/

Charlie Cliques and Autoturf like this.
  8. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I was recently told by one of my coin club members that the above is true for circulation coins but not for proofs. He said that on proof coins the edge lettering is always facing the same direction. Can anyone verify this statement?

9. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

That is correct, they do line up on proofs edge lettering, position and orientation. on the ones I have. thanks for the info, I would not have checked otherwise.

10. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Minting Presidential circulating coinage is a two step process. First the coin is struck obverse and reverse. Normal coinage striking. After the strike the coin is sent to have the edge letters rolled on. Some coins allegedly missed this step.

Proof Presidential dollars are struck and edge lettered at the same time.

11. Charlie Cliques

thank you for taking the time to look at your collection & for your answer! i was thinking that about the section of the article that says "The first group of errors show improperly spaced edge letters and partial edge letters. This occurs when the coins "slip" as they are run through the edge lettering machine. In some cases these errors are accompanied by Mint caused damage as the coins "slip" in the edge die. Note that to be recognized by NGC as Mint Error, the improper spacing must be significant and noteworthy."

When looking at the edge of the coin where the "T" in president is on obverse I was expecting to see the date, not "Unum", & was thinking perhaps that was an error or slip that threw off the spacing.

12. Charlie Cliques

yes i believe that is called edge inscription out of sequence, thanks :)
    http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page33.html

13. Charlie Cliques

thanks! how could you tell it was missing partial lettering vs wear?

14. Charlie Cliques

sorry if i was unclear!!!! those first 2 pics are screenshots from the article (www.ngccoin.com/news/article/459/)

"When comparing the photos from the NGC link above of an "exploded view" of Obverse & reverse edge lettering position..."

i wish i knew how to create views/photos like that :)

PlanoSteve likes this.
  15. Charlie Cliques

thanks for the info!

16. Charlie Cliques

thanks!

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Common, disappointing trash. The folks that minted 'bust halves' nearly two century's ago did a better job with the 'edge lettering'. MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT

18. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Charlie, duh, I should have noticed that. I pretty much ignored the pics in the article because the ones you posted were...well...Big! :D:cool::confused::rolleyes:

19. Robert L Miller

Robert L Miller New Member

I collect them up and down. Still two distinct varieties.

20. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

I heard that the mint sets are a satin finish is this true? unlike the business strike, ?

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Because it came like that in my order direct from the Mint.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted