Presidential and Sacagawea Dollar Coin Mint Error Types and Varietys

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by HowardStern, Aug 1, 2012.

1. HowardStern

HowardStern Member

THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO ALL THE ERRORS FOUND ON PRESIDENTIAL AND SACAGAWEA DOLLAR COINS

I have been buying,selling,and roll searching for these errors since the news broke about the 2007 Washington missing edge lettering errors. I have been studying these errors, going to ANA and NGC seminars, and submiting a vast amount of these errors to the 3 main Third Party Grading Companys. I will Try my best to give an in depth analysis of the top error varietys for this series.

Ill start by listing the names of the errors that I find are "worthy" of collecting. This is just the beginning of my blogging and I plan to eventually cover each of these varietys on a more exclusive level, with pictures and large descriptions. Everything you will need to know about Presidential and Sacagawea Dollar Coins! Are you ready? Here comes the list!

1) Missing Edge Lettering (MEL)
    2) Partial Edge Lettering (PEL)
    3) Weak Edge Lettering (WEL)
    4) Overlapping Edge Lettering (OEL)
    5) Slipped and Shifted Edge Lettering
    6) Double Edge Lettering
    7) Clashed Dies
    8) Designer Extension Dimples (DED)
    9) Die Scrapes and chips
    10) Strike Throughs
    11) Sintered and Improperly Annealed
    12) Small Clips
    13) Partial Collar
    14) Cuds
    15) Die Cracks and breaks

Thats it folks. These are the errors I feel should be deemed "significant" enough to collect. Although some of these errors might not be deemed as such by the grading companys, I will pay tribute to them and give them the proper attribution I feel they will one day receive.
    This blog will be moderated but interactive nonetheless. If you feel there is an error variety I am missing please pass it on and I will post.

This Blog will eventually be your 1 stop guide to Presidential Dollar Coin Errors
    Much more to come.....

Draft saved Draft deleted