Presidential 2016 One Dollar Coin Set-Silver?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, May 1, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I was at my coin club meeting last Thursday and a guy had these sets in Silver. I was interested but did not want to make an impulsive buy. Today I have been looking online for one and can't find it. Does this exist or was I imagining things that night?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

To the best of my knowledge, the next Presidential Dollar minted in silver will be the very first.

4. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I must be losing it.

7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

It came in a box I believe and the guy said they were 90% silver 10% copper. Was going to charge me $56 for it. He's going to be at a coin show near me next week and said he would give me the same price. I'll look at it then and post a picture of the box to make sure it is real.

8. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I can't find silver proof prez dollars on the mint's web site. And the slabs in that ebay link don't say they are silver. They say the prez dollars are from a 13 coin silver proof set. And they don't look silver.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You sure that wasn't the silver set? I think that's what the 2016 proof silver set costs. The prez coins however, are not silver.

10. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Which set are you referring to? Do you have a link?

11. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I looked at those they're the clad pres coins. Same ones since 2007, we'll new year & different presidents but same.

12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

They don't mint presidential dollars in silver.......be not fooled.

tommyc03 and longnine009 like this.
  14. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

No doubt, he's referring to the Silver Proof Set.

NO Presidential Dollar minted under the Presidential Dollar Coin Act was minted in 90% Silver.

This is not to say that folks cannot "silver plate" them though but the net result would be a post mint damaged coin barely worth anything over a buck.

Info on The Silver Proof Set can be found here:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/silver-proof-set-2016-16RH.html?cgid=whats-new#start=1

And, BTW, ever since 2007, folks have been misinterpreting the "Silver Proof Set
    to mean that the Presidential and Sacagawea Dollars would be of 90% Silver but it just has never happened.

15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks for clearing that up everyone. I'm actually interested in getting that whole set now that I look at it. I always wanted a Reagan coin and the silver Kennedy looks great.

16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sounds typical of the "American Mint" in Pa. (no relationship to any U.S. Government entity ) offerings, Littleton Coin Co. still does plating of coins also. A lot of private Mints do this kind of thing. But if they are the same exact coin in all details and being touted as real silver, beware. And who knows what China has in the boiler. But definitely NOT U.S. Mint made.

17. green18

Actually, the 2008 Red Book has a column for silver presidential dollars.......I think there was some discussion regarding maybe minting the presidentials in silver for collectors, but it never happened.

18. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Hmmm, got me thinking now. If the Red Book was that far enough ahead of the curve, do you think it was possible some trial pieces might have been made?

19. green18

Not a chance. It would have had to be approved by congress, and I doubt any trial pieces were produced........

20. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ok, just to clarify from this thread that there are no Silver Proof Presidential dollars. I got that. I will be getting the Proof set that has the Proof Strikes of Nixon, Ford, and Reagan. It also has the silver quarters, dime, half. Also included are the penny, nickel, and Sack. Question I had was would it be worth taking the Kennedy out and getting it slabbed? It would be my first slabbed coin.

21. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

If it grades PF70 Ultra Cameo, then it's worth the slab. $100+ on ebay.

But if it grades PF69 Ultra Cameo, then it's worth much less. $35 - $40 on ebay.

An experienced eye can usually predict a 70-grade. But for a novice, well... do you feel lucky?

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted