President George H. W. Bush dollar coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ThomasW, Jan 17, 2020.

1. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

This much is true.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Since 1971 the dollar coin has been pointless.
    Ikes, SBA's, Sacagawea's, President coins. If there is no intention to eliminate the dollar bill, it's all been a huge waste of money and resources.
    The Ike was way too large and heavy to carry around.
    The SBA was confused with quarters.
    The Sac's and Pres coins just sit in storage vaults, and the taxpayer is picking up the bill for storing these coins that are collecting dust.
    Streamlining and minimalism is the smart move. We need less issues, not more.

Spark1951 likes this.
  4. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

It's about time!

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Push that back about 120 years earlier. After 1853 they were pointless because they contained more than a dollars worth of silver in them so they didn't circulate, and then once paper reach par with gold and silver around 1874 and people knew they could exchange the paper for gold or silver at any time the paper note became the circulating medium of choice due to its lighter weight. And that latter reasoning has never and most likely will never change as long as the paper and coin are both available. Gold dollars were never practical because of their small size.

Before 1853 silver dollars were practical, because you couldn't trust the paper money in circulation. (There was no Federal paper money, and all the paper in circulation was issued by banks of questionable stability, Railroads and even private corporations. Every time you used or received a note you had to look it up in a reference work, published monthly, to see how much you needed to discount it or even if it had any value at all. And the publisher of the references were not always able to resist bribes from a note issuer to list their notes as being worth more than they should be.) But a silver dollar was always a dollar because it had its intrinsic value in silver in it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Good Cents, ripple and -jeffB like this.
  6. ThomasW

ThomasW Member

TexAg and ripple like this.
  7. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Another one?

:)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  8. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

I will get the Bush ‘41 dollar coins (P&D) when they come out, or later via CRH which will be much tougher. :confused:

UncleScroge and ripple like this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Mint artists are getting lazy. Take an old artists rendition of a president dollar, paste a PICTURE of Bush on it and call it a design. CFA is getting lazy too accepting that as a design.

Hey maybe a way to save money, Take older President dollars and just put a sticker of Bush on them. Lets you make the new dollars without increasing the number in storage, and you don't have to spend money on all that new metal.

10. davdo

davdo Senior Member

Has anyone seen any news for this coin? TIA.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nary a word.......

12. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

13. Diogenes Diaz

Diogenes Diaz Active Member

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2020
  14. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

Read my lips: No new Presidential coins.

Cachecoins and Good Cents like this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You can say that. You can not buy one if you so choose but it's the law. The George H. W. Bush $1.00 Presidential coin will be released in 2020.

16. Good Cents

That's funny! :p

The lines we remember from times past...

17. Good Cents

It was a joke, a reference to President Bush senior's famous line: "Read my lips - no new taxes!" He didn't keep to this promise and his opponents hammered away at this line, repeating it over and over again to show how he didn't live up to his promises. Some say the taxes, and this line was the reason he was only a single term president.

If playing one of those "free association" games, this is what many of us would think of if his name were said. "Read my lips - no new taxes!"

Kentucky and Collecting Nut like this.
  18. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

I only said it because someone else said something very similar in 1988. Oh well . . . it looks like a couple of people here got it.

Kentucky and Collecting Nut like this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Thank you for the history. For some reason I don't remember any of that but I do remember him being in for 1 term.

20. Collecting Nut

I've totally forgotten all that. I thought you were serious. Good night. Lol

Kentucky likes this.
  21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Some of us go straight to Dana Carvey.

Kentucky and Virginian like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted