President George H. W. Bush dollar coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ThomasW, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Clearly the date will have to be amended, but it looks likely that it will happen. It passed the Senate and the House and is now waiting for Trump's signature. Assuming he signs it (quite likely), it will then need to be designed and minted. Still, that could probably happen sometime this year.

ripple and Michael K like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

It's only been on the president's desk since the 16th (that's how long it's been since it passed the House). Not sure how long it takes for him to get through legislation to sign, but in all likelihood he'll probably sign it eventually.

4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Great news, I wonder if the Mint will reuse the same reverse from the Presidential dollar coins or something different such as a TBM Avenger.

Troodon and green18 like this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Always thought that it was the TBF Avenger.

6. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Spark1951 and green18 like this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you read the actual text of the bill that was passed (not just the summary which was probably written when the bill was first introduced in 2019) you'll find it does call for the coins to be dated 2020.

Troodon likes this.
  9. ThomasW

ThomasW Member

The President signed this bill yesterday (Jan. 27) so it has now officially become law. So now I guess we wait for the official design and the release date.

Troodon and Bradley Trotter like this.
  10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If these are NIFC, it's basically a commem. since only collectors and dealers
    will be able to buy them in bulk from the mint.
    Until they get rid of the dollar bill, the dollar coins have no function.
    No matter how many tolls (auto pay), or vending machines (bill acceptors) use them. Overall they are just not used by the average person. Most people haven't even seen one (after the SBA's) and there were many in circulation from 2000-2011.

11. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Update: the President signed this into law on Monday. So it's official; now it's a matter of it being designed and minted. (Er oops someone beat me to that announcement.)

One thing that nobody's said here yet though that I realized: if there's a proof version of this coin, which I guess there probably will be, it will have to be released as a separate Mint product, since 2020 proof sets have already been put into production. (Assuming this coin gets minted this year, which isn't an unrealistic expectation.)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  12. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

My guess is they'll probably just use the same reverse as the presidential dollar series, since this is essentially an extension of that series. But nothing in the bill says they have to. I wouldn't object to something unique if they decide they go that route. But most likely they'll just stick to making it another president dollar and keep the same basic specifications of such.

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Jimmy Carter is 95 years old. I think that's a record for US Presidents.
    Is he going to get a coin in the future?

14. Bill H.

Bill H. Active Member

My Dansco has spaces for Carter, Bush 41, Clinton and Bush 43.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Huh. I guess that's not creepy...

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If he does, I wish it could have a reverse featuring people building a house.

Bradley Trotter and Michael K like this.
  17. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

First, the U.S. government should never have started the presidential dollar series without some sort of "plan" for future coins when a living former president died. This would have made a lot more sense. Of course, Bush should have a coin, as well as his spouse a medal just like all the ones before them. Second, apparently the U.S. government is only dealing with one former living president who has died, and not planning for the next one (probably Carter?). Short-sighted as usual for the Feds!

18. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

[​IMG]

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes it is a record, and he will only get a coin if the Congress passes another bill like they did for George H. W. Bush. At the moment there is no legislation that would authorize a Carter dollar. My guess is that with the Bush coin as a precedent, this will become a standard procedure with the death of each President.

Tlberg, davdo and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  20. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I believe that would be fitting.

21. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I don't think I missed this, buy the Mint is now issuing Presidential Silver Medals. How is that program going. I really like them and am collecting them. I collect the presidential $1's for only presidents I like as well as First Ladies. The only First Lady coin I have is the gold Jacqueline Kennedy. I would love to have a gold Barbara Bush. Now there is one of the best. Looking forward....

Draft saved Draft deleted