Prepare to Die From Jealousy

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Gregg, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

There is making someone jealous and then there is humiliating them.
    Guess which one that was?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

In MY world, "crusty" is a coinpliment.

Gregg and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  4. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Well, an excellent question. All I can tell you is this: With cops, criminal investigators, prosecutors, and judges, there is an element of discretion. The following questions are asked...

1. Is it in fact a violation of law (to possess counterfeit nickels, or buy/sell them)?
    2. What is the level it can be injurous to one's self or others (to own or sell them)? (Physically, financially, etc.).
    3. Is this violation alone (possessing/selling) worth the cop's/prosecutor's time to charge/prosecute?

The U.S. Secret Service will not prosecute nor will they even show up for a call if someone alerts them that someone has or is trying to sell a Henning nickel. They also even refused to show up to my port if I called to tell them I had 3-4 counterfeit $20 bills.

1. It isn't worth their time to investigate or proescute.

2. The Henning nickel is now regarded as part of Americana and an iconic piece of numismatic history because Henning is a known forger.

3. Much unlike the Chinese, Israelis, Turks, and Russian mobsters - who attempt to corrupt the collectors market by flooding it with fakes - Henning nickels have not been produced for over a half century and are no longer deemed a threat.

4. Possessing for collecting is not the same as attempting to spend them and engage in transactions. Also, unlike someone who simply collects a banned AK-47, the potential for injury is certainly greater both because of the nature of what it is and how it could be used potentially.

In sum, it is no different when a cop chooses to not write a ticket to a speeder, for a prosecutor to switch your speeding ticket to a parking violation, or a judge from completely dropping the charges.

5. JCro57

The same applies even for drug laws. On the southern border, federal prosecutors would not even prosecute cases if Customs seized less than 80 lbs of marijuana. They would call the state, and often they wouldn't prosecute it either but local sheriffs almost always would. 60 lbs is small potatoes compared to 400-2,400 lb loads of pot they find down there several times a shift at some checkpoints.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. JCro57

Lastly, aren't all error coins supposed to be destroyed? I have heard stories of Mint higher-ups dying, and then family members discover dozens of rare and unique errors and varieties in safe deposit boxes here and abroad that were supposed to destroyed, yet the families get to keep them and sell them openly. (One of which - a proof error - I actually now own)

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yet the membership has to literally beg to (maybe? possibly?) get a known fraudster removed. If only CoinWeek would have complained...

Go figure.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

In my opinion that's a great start to building a collection. I prefer to buy the key dates first, then the semi keys followed by the common dates.

Gregg likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

Point out a thread by this "known fraudster", and the evidence of his fraud.

10. DM1

DM1 Active Member

My 1924 isn't as nice as I thought it was - hadn't seen it in a while, but... 20180714_070408.jpg 20180714_070320.jpg
    Peace, brothers ( and sisters, if applicable )

11. BooksB4Coins

Seriously? You haven't seen any of the threads or discussions addressing dear Planman that have graced the forum in recent times?

That said and for the sake of clarity, my post had little to do with you but with the unequal treatment often on display here.

12. lordmarcovan

Have YOU seen a thread by dear Planman this month?

I'll bet you haven't. ;)

13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I like Peace Dollars
    6087D0C7-18AD-4A74-8E6F-F7B6DDFB0047.jpeg
    I like chocolate chip cookies too but those make me fat as I'd eat too many of them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    longshot and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

That's good to know and I most appreciate the on-the-sly heads up! @C-B-D

Still, the greater point stands. :)

C-B-D likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

Point taken. Sometimes the wheels turn slowly, but we do keep them turning, and remember, it's like the thwarted terrorist attacks that don't make the news- y'all don't even see a lot of the stuff that gets dealt with behind the scenes.

Remember that the people behind the scenes are all too human and miss stuff occasionally, or have to make tricky judgment calls.

Except Doug. Doug is a cyborg. :borg:

16. BooksB4Coins

Indeed.... and is why you catch grief, be it sincere or when simply playing devil's advocate, but is also half the fun. :)

Of course he is. After all the human body can only exist in its natural living state for so long. ;)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

@Gregg my advice to you is to forget that this thread exists, it seems to have taken on a life of it's own...
    upload_2018-7-15_19-30-3.jpeg

Gregg likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

For the record, no threads/posts ever get removed because someone complains - no matter who that someone is.

A complaint you voice rather often, but one based on your personal bias. Luckily, what is done or not done is based on the ideals of justice, and justice is blind.

But I would add this, were you aware of all the facts and reasons behind certain decisions that are made, I actually have little, if any, doubt that even you would agree with those decisions. And so would everybody else. You see, it is only because you are not aware of everything else that you think the way you do.

Kentucky and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

LMC,

My "gripe" is NOT so much with Charles Morgan or that other fellow, the "publisher". Yes, I have butted heads with HIM on numerous occasions, but Charles has even invited me to be a guest on his podcast in the past. I like Charles, personally, EXCEPT for one fact. He is becoming GREATLY EXCESSIVELY political. I follow his Twitter feed. When I meet him at coin shows, the FIRST topic on his mind is POLITICS, not numismatics. He and I agree very little on that topic, so why lead with it? ANA shows are a 5 day affair, there's time.

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2018
  20. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2018
  21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Gentlemen - if the thread continues in this way it will be closed. Leave politics out of it !

Draft saved Draft deleted