Precision grading

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by halfcent1793, May 15, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

This is how they do coins today, or at least how they helped design the 2009 UHR.

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

No, no, no, and sometimes. Unfortunately, many folks are blind or don't know how to tip and rotate a coin during exam. They cannot see anything no matter its size. For that reason, against my wishes, you'll find ICG coins with "crapped up" labels such as: XF-45 Details and long scratch next to the right side of the eagle on the reverse. LOL. A slight exaggeration but if I had my way :troll: it would just say "scratched." Let the collector learn something by looking for it on either side!:grumpy:

Don't take anyone's word for it. Hand a coin to a prominent, nationally respected dealer and ask him if it is original, authentic, and its grade. You'll be shocked how fast he answers you question. That is the "gut" reaction (immediate impression) from any knowledgeable, experienced numismatist to a coin he is handed.

green18 and Kentucky like this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

Agreed...but then we see coins in threads here and at other forums where they are CLEARLY mis-graded. By 2 or more numbers, I don't mean off by 1 grade.

Do graders get breaks every hour or every 2 hours or whatever to rest their eyes, reset, etc. ? From what I have read -- and it could be wrong -- but there's alot of pressure to grade hundreds of coins a day.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Unless of course they start putting on a show getting ready to talk the price down thinking you're looking to sell :p

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes, absolutely !

Like I said it ALL has to be there or it just isn't there. When you're using actual grading standards each individual MS grade has numerous, specific criteria that must be met in order for the coin to qualify for that grade. If any one of those individual grading criteria does not measure up, then the coin cannot be graded that high.

For example, bagmarks (also called contact marks), to qualify for the MS65 grade there is a limited number of minor contact marks that can be present on the coin. If they are severe or numerous, and or in certain locations, then the coin simply doesn't qualify as a 65. And no matter how good the other criteria are, it cannot be a 65.

Any single criteria can hold the grade down. That is the very purpose of grading standards - standards MUST be met or it doesn't get the grade. To do otherwise means there are no standards.

edit - It should be noted that, prior to 2004, the TPGs used to grade that way.

imrich likes this.
  7. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

While that is true, it would be a separate grade. So there would be the technical one set by computer, and the subjective one, set by human examination.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And the collectors who pooh-pooh any coin where the two grades don't agree, and the collectors who compete for the widest gap, and, and, and...

9. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

And do we always agree now?

10. Insider

2 grades off? I don't think you'll find that many for two main reasons, you are looking at images and 99% of us are not qualified to grade coins at a major TPGS.

As for grading rooms. It probably depends who you are. When I started at NGC, I was encouraged to get up and take a break WHENEVER I wanted. We didn't punch a clock either. That was before "moderns" were graded and the volume of coins increased. I hear it is much different over there now.

11. baseball21

No point in a computer grade if a human has to give one as well. If anything you would just make the humans skills lazy. The computers are great for finding stolen things resubmitted or helping with fakes, even a private grade or evaluation for the graders may not be the worst idea of all time, but the last thing we need is which grade means more the humans or the computers etc.

I've mentioned it many times before, but I will never understand why there seems to be such a push to replace humans with computers in everything. Computers aren't better at many things, they get hacked, they break, and you could write a dissertation about what a bad idea putting the coin market in the hands of programmers and removing actual expert graders from the equation.

How many world class and I mean actual world class graders do we think are also expert computer programmers who could understand the code inside and out?

12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

As a software engineer of 32 years, currently developing AI software related to imaging, who tied former PCGS president Ron Guth for 1st in NGC's grading contest at the FUN show, how much credibility do I have? ;)

13. baseball21

How many clones do you have? :p

Insider likes this.
  14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Because doubling your number of humans means doubling your salary and benefits costs, plus any training costs, while doubling your number of computers means... buying one more set of computers, and paying a tiny bit more for electricity and maintenance. Or upgrading to a newer model that costs the same as the one you bought two years ago, but runs your AI code four times as fast.

16. baseball21

Yes for the companies that makes sense, for the outside people wishing a company would makes no sense.

17. GoldFinger1969

The graders would work WITH the computer programmers, just like the auto experts work with them.

A bunch of coin graders would tell for each particular coin what they look for and the programmers would then write the code that would tell the computer what to look for. It would be "smart" enough to know how to scan for luster vs. reflectivity....to distinguish bag marks from polishing marks....to look for rub vs. deep coin gouges from the bag.

18. baseball21

And if you're not a top notch programmer that wants to slip in backdoors? The number of people that could potentially do it are few and far between. For all the people who complain to few control the hobby, this could significantly condense it.

There is a role computers can and do play in this hobby and a very limited number of people good enough at both things for it. AI as a tool can be a big asset, as a crutch and the driver of things that's not a great path

19. GoldFinger1969

Regarding your finishing tied for 1st in that grading contest....the Emperor is MOST displeased with your effort. :D

messydesk likes this.
  20. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

No, because there are some things a computer isn't good at, you still need the human eyes to deal with the subjective factors. The computer would only do the quantitative work, noting bag marks and such, significantly reducing the time human eyes would have to spend on it. Although @Insider seems to be pretty fast in his evaluation, it's because he's had years of looking at coins.

21. Insider

John Skelton, posted: "No, because there are some things a computer isn't good at, you still need the human eyes to deal with the subjective factors. The computer would only do the quantitative work, noting bag marks and such, significantly reducing the time human eyes would have to spend on it."

OK Guys, here is a thought. No brag just fact. With just a little training, any monkey (ME) with a set of basic standards written or based on experience can break down all the attributes of a coin good ENOUGH to put an acceptable grade on it. That's because long time graders can look at a coin and evaluate its "strike" into: strong; normal and nothing special; slightly weak; weak; and flat in fractions of a second. Same goes for luster. Same goes for originality.

It takes more time - perhaps an additional 10 -15 seconds using a stereo scope w/florescent light to look very closely for repairs, hidden marks, etc. That said, if you hand me a coin and give me the time (whatever I need, usually much less than a minute) I BELIEVE THAT THERE IS NOT ONE THING ON THAT COIN THAT A COMPUTER WILL FIND THAT I MISSED! But a computer can do it faster.

Unfortunately, a computer will not be able to decide that a scratch or rim nick does not matter enough to ignore. Eventually, there will be computer-aided grading but I'll be long dead before you can stick a coin in a box and get an acceptable grade. IMO, it will never replace the "eye" of those way above my pay grade. So buy the coin, not the computer-generated opinion on the label. :D

halfcent1793, baseball21 and Kentucky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted