Pre-Saturnalia give-away

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Hi All,

I picked this up last week at a local coin show. It is very worn, but it is also a genuine elephant denarius of Julius Caesar. The coin is nicer in hand. It will never be more than a poor fair in condition but in person one can see the elephant more clearly.

Rules
    1. I want to give this to a new collector. I define new a new ancients collector as one who has been collecting ancients less than one year.

2. In order to qualify you must have posted to one of my threads in the last 30 days (posting today does not qualify you).

3. You must reside in North America (this keeps the shipping reasonable for me).

4. If you are a minor you must get permission from a parental unit.

5. You must post to this thread after you receive the coin

6. The contest closes on Monday November 19 at 7pm.

Here is the coin you will receive.

worn elephant.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Deacon Ray, chrsmat71, NLL and 28 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Welp, I’m disqualified. Good luck to all applicable entrants!

4. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Wow, a very cool giveaway! Someone will be a lucky duck. (I do not qualify)

5. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Very cool of you. Good luck to the newbies.

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What a truly generous giveaway. The Caesar elephant was an absolute must when I first started. And this one is in as good of shape as my snake stomper. Best of luck to you newbs! (Sadly, I don't qualify)

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Good on ya @Orfew. That's a great starter coin if you ask me.

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, to add to @Bing ’s comment: that is a DREAM starter coin! To start a collection with the iconic Caesar, one of the most known person of ancient history? Incredibly well done @Orfew !

ominus1, furryfrog02 and Nathan401 like this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Very cool coin! I've seen a few elephants on here since starting with ancients and I always enjoy them.
    What a great give away @Orfew !

I don't believe I qualify since I haven't posted in any of your threads...Just "liked" your pictures :)

10. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Hi there, I am in ( I am pretty sure I qualify) i don't know much about ancient's and hoping to get a coin like this. I currently have a few ancient coins that I don't know much about. None of them are silver. Thanks for the giveaway!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    furryfrog02 likes this.
  11. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Great giveaway, @Orfew!!! Some new collector will be very lucky !!

12. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

darn, I nearly qualify! And this is a coin I've been looking for for my side historical collection (which I collect for interest and not eye appeal) :grumpy:

13. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Ouch. I would have qualified had it not been for rule #2. :inpain:

Very generous GAW though! ;)

14. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Oh I just noticed rule two also.......................Because I am not big into ancients, I have not got a chance to post on any of your threads. Thanks again for the giveaway.

15. alde

alde Always Learning

That's amazingly generous of you Orfew. It will make a new collector very happy. You get some karma points.

16. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Awesome giveaway!! Some lucky newbie will score a most generous prize. I know #2 might knock some people out but I think it is a pretty good qualifier. I'm here everyday and always send likes to let posters know I'm reading but I haven't been posting so much and need to make a better effort to post on threads.

furryfrog02, Justin Lee and Orfew like this.
  17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I nearly qualified !!
    I would have loved getting an elephant when I got started 40 years ago

Q

19. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Great give-away! What a neat coin to win and spur on ancient collecting.

20. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

Thank you for the give away, I am new to ancients and I have no elephant, always wanted one....please put me in on this drawing and have a Blessed day.....

21. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I have had some discussions with a forum member I trust. This member suggested that my criteria were too strict and I needed to amend the qualifications to make sure someone deserving was going to be the recipient for the coin.

I have decided to simply give the coin to a forum member instead.

I have considered several names suggested by the member who contacted me and I have decided to give the coin to @furryfrog02

I hope that @furryfrog02 will accept the coin and will at some point pay it forward in some manner.

Deacon Ray, Nathan401, NLL and 11 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted